Is there an easier way ?

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by robermv32, Oct 23, 2009.

1. robermv32

robermv32 Active Member

With winter approaching, I've just finished doing the complete oil change using Mobil V-Twin 20/50 on my 2008 FXSTC. Then I changed out the primary oil using HD Formula +. Ok, one to go...drained out the old and got ready to load her up with some Spectro 6 speed...but wait..what's this..10 minutes trying to get the drain plug back in...Finally had to get a mirror. Still had a heck of a time starting the threads. Anyone else run into this problem and are there any tricks out there to make it easier ?

2. PetieJ

PetieJ Member

No trick I know of other then maybe you are not holding your tongue right or not saying lefty loosey, righty tighty. These two seem to help at times. It can be a pill to get to if you do not have small or nimble fingers. I find sometime that if I can not get a bolt or screw started, let someone else try and it will fall in or take a break and the next time you pick up the screw or bolt it will go right in. Frustration seems to keep the bolt/screw from starting. Murphy's Law goes into effect.
    Murphy's Law.

3. glider

glider Veteran Member

Much easier if you put the drain plug in the socket with a 6" extension on the socket (NO ratchet) and just start it in the drain hole.

No muss, no fuss, no cuss and no bother.:D

4. awall

awall Member

I uer the allen wrench to get it started. For me it is a lot easier to handle than the socket on an extension.

5. glider

glider Veteran Member

Either way is easier than trying to fit your hand in between the shocks to start it.