free website stats program Is there a visual difference between 883 and 1200? | Harley Davidson Forums

Is there a visual difference between 883 and 1200?

The Rook

Greetings everyone,

I'm new here and also new at this Harley ownership thing. Could anyone be so kind as to explain to me the visual difference between an 883 and a 1200? Long story short, I bought a HD and believe it might not be a 1200.

Thank you in advance.

Ride hard, stay hard.

well, the air breather cover would say it on there, but i'm gonna assume urs does not or you wouldnt be asking the question. the VIN might be able to tell you something.

Not if the seller wants to hide the true CC's. Have a cylinder volume check done. The VIN may not be accurate if someone did the upgrade.

I believe if you look at the base of the jugs it gives you bore and stroke. Stroke should be the same for 883 and 1200 but the 1200 bore should be larger. Find a manual and do the VIN code and find bore/stroke and compare it to your bike. Hope this helps. Funny thing, I believe the 1200 weighs less than a 883 because of the larger pistons. More metal honed out to fit the pistons in. Correct me if Im wrong.

My VIN number indicates that the bike originally was a 1200 (CGP = 1200 Custom). Also at the base of the engine the numbers there indicate it's a 1200 so I'm guessing that pretty much tells me it's a 1200. The main reason behind me asking is that the bike seems to run out of 'balls' at about 50-60mph, at that point it gets real sluggish with more 'noise' than 'movement' if you catch my meaning. Is that normal for sportsters?

And I also would like to say thank you to everyone who has responded.

Has the bike been re jetted or is it running stock jets?
You could try draining the carb bowl with the screw that is visible from the horn side of the bike between the cylinders at the bottom of the float bowl to see if it would make a difference. Open it a turn or two and let some gas drain out. What happens is the sediment and possibly water that accumulates in the tank will settle at the lowest point in the carb bowl where the main jet is and not let much gas pass.

CVFloatbowlRR.png

My VIN number indicates that the bike originally was a 1200 (CGP = 1200 Custom). Also at the base of the engine the numbers there indicate it's a 1200 so I'm guessing that pretty much tells me it's a 1200. The main reason behind me asking is that the bike seems to run out of 'balls' at about 50-60mph, at that point it gets real sluggish with more 'noise' than 'movement' if you catch my meaning. Is that normal for sportsters?

And I also would like to say thank you to everyone who has responded.

Well i had a 07 1200C at 70MPH. It sounded like it was wound tight.

WOW! I'm shocked at how helpful everyone is being.

To answer the Hobbit's question:
It's a 96 Sportster with 35k miles and drag pipes. And the air cleaner cover reads Screaming Eagle.

To glider:I have no idea if it has been rejetted, but will look at the carb bowl this weekend.

I feel like a total rookie(hence my screen name) to not know more about what I ride everyday, but I'm learning as time goes on. I know that HDs are like Colt government models(1911, 1911A1,1991,etc) in the fact that a HUGE number of companies make after-market parts for them and I really don't know what parts are on my motorcycle.

And as always...Thank you for you time and replies.

Nice to see that there is some help out there, when I call a shop, most of the time no one has a clue what i'm talking about. "there's no such thing as an 89c.i." is the crap i've found. Any how Thanks Glider for the post pic on the carb bowl, mines been acting up on the carb as well. As for the comment about reaching 70 and feeling the bike is wound out, don't feel bad I''ve had mine @ 130 and I know it wants more but the HP dies after 100..... ~I know it wants to reach 189... in my dreams i guess:yes

That drain screw on the float bowl is something not very many know is there. It can solve a boat load of problems just draining out the float bowl to get rid of any water or sediment that builds up in the bowl below the main jet which causes fuel flow problems and it takes a minute to do it. It's helped out a number of people draining the bowl too.

Back