free website stats program Is The Road King The Best Value for Tourers? | Harley Davidson Forums

Is The Road King The Best Value for Tourers?

icehead

I know that is a loaded question,but let me tell you what i plan do with the Bike and my budget at this time. Budget is $15,000 or less. i want something that is versital and I will be able to make my own over time. Weekend cruise with friends, occasional 100-250 mile trip once my back heals. This is my First Harley and I have ridden the 09's, but really what do I know. I'm thinking 21/18 wheels , of course chrome ects. 2001-2007 seem to be in my price range. Does this seem logical? Or maybe look at another HD. Thanks

I certainly don't mean to burst your bubble but it's going to be quite challenging to find a touring model in nice shape and then add lots of chrome and upgraded wheels, all for under $15,000.

Any of the touring models would fit your described riding and be comfortable on your back. If you're not going to do a lot of serious, overnight touring a Dyna or Softtail would be fine also and maybe a little more affordable.

Good luck in your search for the perfect bike and let us know what you end up getting!

As has been said, a lot of Harley models will fit the bill. It really depends on what you're going to use the bike for. Right now you may think that the odd 200 or 250 mile weekend cruise is all the touring you're going to do. On the other hand, once the touring bug bites you, you may find you want to do longer trips. Will you be riding solo or two up? If you're likely to have a passenger, you have to give consideration to their comfort as well. If you're comfortable on a Road King, then go for it because it will do it all. I'd try and get a test ride on a Heritage Softail, a Road King and maybe even an EG Classic and see which one you prefer. But, as Dr. Doolittle said, you're going to have to do some serious shopping to do all you want for $15,000.

Im not expecting to get a custom bike with 21/18 and extra chrome for $15,000. I think you missed my point. I m looking to get a HD RK,RG,EGS,EC for $15,000 or less. All of the other ad-ons will be done out of my own pocket. Just looking for a good Clean used bike for under $15,000.00 that's my limit. I found (2) 2001 RKS for right at $10,000 with under 10,000 miles. They look good, is that a good Buy?

The older the bike, the more likely expensive mechanical maintenance will be needed at some point. The real tale of the tape is what is your short and long term goals, spending more for a later model bike that is stock is probably a better choice, as it wil have a warranty or recent service that is guaranteed by the dealer of choice...IMHO. Private party, you have to decide the risk of older machine and reliability of the previous owner to service bike or had knowledgable servicer with records as such.

My opinion is that if you are looking to buy used there seems to be more RK's and EG's out there on the used market. The other day I was at HD at Cool Springs in Nashville and saw to rk's and one was selling for 13,000 and the other was 12,000. The only difference was one was a couple years newer then the other but the newer one had more miles on it. I think in this economy you should be able to buy a RK for what your price range is. They have a great track record and there are lots out there.

My opinion is that if you are looking to buy used there seems to be more RK's and EG's out there on the used market. The other day I was at HD at Cool Springs in Nashville and saw to rk's and one was selling for 13,000 and the other was 12,000. The only difference was one was a couple years newer then the other but the newer one had more miles on it. I think in this economy you should be able to buy a RK for what your price range is. They have a great track record and there are lots out there.

Agree with Steve, the roadking is a great 1rst Harley to make your own with room to grow.The wife just bought an 08 Streetglide ith 2k on it and some extras for $16400.Your price target of $15000 should land you a clean RK.

Sorry I misunderstood. Thought you wanted it all for $15,000. You should be able to get a pretty good RK, UG or SG for within your price range. My advice would be to buy the newest model of whatever bike you decide on. All the goodies can be added later but the bike will be the platform for those goodies so go as new as you can afford.

One good thing about buying an 06 or 07 is that the original owner probably installed all the basic ad-ons (chrome goodies, pipes, tuner, etc). If you buy new, you will have to fork all that money out. I bought a new 08 RKC and I am constantly saving to add something else on it. I love the RK and it's classic look. I dont much like the big fairings on the SG or RG and my windshield can be removed in 5 seconds when I want the wind in my face for short rides and then put back on just as quick for the longer rides.

Back