free website stats program "Is Stock Bad" | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

"Is Stock Bad"

I agree on that myself. Sometime ignorance is bliss and oil temp of my HD is one of them.

I'm on my second Harley and both were and continue to be stock. Never had a problem. I ride in 90 degree plus a good bit of the year. My stock pipes sound great and I have plenty of power. I don't need the fastest, baddest bike around.

There are many others who disagree. That's what keeps the after market booming. Still I don't buy into it.
:USA

Stock vehicles were designed for the greatest general acceptance. They are vanilla or the Big Mac.. I've never bought into that. I'll continue to modify until I have exactly what I want.

Stock vehicles were designed for the greatest general acceptance. They are vanilla or the Big Mac.. I've never bought into that. I'll continue to modify until I have exactly what I want.

Maybe a metric is vanilla, but a Harley is a Harley. I can't stop without someone saying nice bike. Not once has anyone asked how fast would it go or what mods I have on it. I did have a crotch rocket guy tell me once that he could outrun me. I said, "and? "

If I had wanted a custom bike, then I would have bought a frame and went from there. Not take thousands of dollars of perfectly good parts off a new Harley and replace them with thousands of dollars worth of aftermarket stuff. From what I mostly hear half the time they never run right and always need just one more thing to be perfect.

PEACE!

66 and Smitty IMO have the idea, plain vanilla is just fine and even without a temp guage tell'in you, stock bike is plain "Hot". You will have no longevity issues if your machine stays stock as long as good maintenance practices are done well. The base MOCO machine is the product of many years of research, infusing technology hidden beneath the classic skin...it is their customer service, follow-on care and sometimes quality control that has it's ups and downs, due to outsourcing of key materials or elements as cost measures to remain competitive. Maybe with the new CEO, the company attitude will change in a more positive direction.

Unless you plan on doing serious upgrades I'd run it stock until the wheels fall off. Doing a stage 1 is a total sucker bet IMO. Great for talking on forums and at the local beer joint, that's about it. You'll dump a grand into the upgrade and see 10 hp...big deal. The sucker part of the deal is you won't appreciate the gains unless you run 4k RPM, give or take a few. But, the suppliers of the parts will appreciate your money from the first minute.

Unless you plan on doing serious upgrades I'd run it stock until the wheels fall off. Doing a stage 1 is a total sucker bet IMO. Great for talking on forums and at the local beer joint, that's about it. You'll dump a grand into the upgrade and see 10 hp...big deal. The sucker part of the deal is you won't appreciate the gains unless you run 4k RPM, give or take a few. But, the suppliers of the parts will appreciate your money from the first minute.

Jim,I was going to edit your post,as you are being derogatory against all of the members in your posts,but I am going to leave it intact.
I for one do not feel like a "sucker" for doing,stage1,pipes and TFI. A $1000. well spent IMO. My bike runs cooler,has crisper acceleration and sounds better then stock.What is the downside of that? If you wan't to bash what we do and call us suckers ,just ask for your account to be removed and save us the grief . Sincerely
Steve

have a look at my stock sporty on my profile nothing more to be said - however i do understand the temptation - i think the harley team have got it spot on

My View,
Since the day I found I could change appearance or the intended use of my toys, I learned to use my ingenuity.

I don't know about you but I still don't Know what I want to be when I grow up.

I believe we innovators are the true stymulus of this great country.

Join us, it might put a smile on your face.

Al

:USA

:CONNECTICUT

Back