free website stats program "Is Stock Bad" | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

"Is Stock Bad"

I think the previous posts pretty much say it all. Ride 'em stock if you want. The air still blows by as you head down the road, the enjoyment of the ride is still there.

If you do decided to make a change to the pipes, air filter, etc. there is a cause and effect to these changes. Plenty of discussions on the forum to give you an idea of what the effects are.

Enjoy your ride.

I remember years ago watching International chassis piggybacked on Rt.1 on there way to Metro body in Bridgeport to get dressed with the finished van body...
Al
(thread jack) I had one of those IH Metro vans.. In '74, drove a '53 from San Francisco to central Washington where I got married & loaded all our furnature into the largest UHaul trailer I could get & towed it to NE Wisconsin. Never missed a beat even crawling up the Continental Divide out of Butte Mt. in low gear.

Maybe this is a good question on this: :D

If you wanted something else, why did you buy this?

Al

I agree! But unfortunately, there is so much out there that it's almost impossible to not fall into "upgrade trap". I didn't plan on adding anything but once you get started, it's pretty hard to stop! After seeing my buddies Screaming Eagle RKC, I want the 110!

Excessive heat and problems with head gaskets going out repeatedly, also cylinder liners moving too.

It comes as a kit and the dealer should have the info on it. Basically what it is are NEW head gaskets ( 4 different head gaskets since 07). New 'square' cylinder base gaskets , crankcase center bolt that has a o-ring on it so it doesn't leak ,and ALL the other gaskets to do the job.Whether it is the "fix" only time will tell.

I like that I really do "just don't add a temp gauge and you'll be fine"
You are so right on this one.

I agree on that myself. Sometime ignorance is bliss and oil temp of my HD is one of them.

I'm on my second Harley and both were and continue to be stock. Never had a problem. I ride in 90 degree plus a good bit of the year. My stock pipes sound great and I have plenty of power. I don't need the fastest, baddest bike around.

There are many others who disagree. That's what keeps the after market booming. Still I don't buy into it.
:USA

I would think the factory has to do so many mods to make that production bike a closed loop of it's own.
Like mentioned, you do not see it but there are 3 to 5 mods you re-mod for the one mod and it snowballs the more you try to out think a team of skilled, trained engineers that study how to close that air cleaner pleat so you do not stumble, come back to websites I've seen over and over asking for a better map for their mod.

Ask yourself how they know the mod is bad? They changed from stock and that walks backwards to what was said in your thread. Stock is like starting your car everyday and that is stock basically. Maybe the floor mats are not stock say.

Back