"Is Stock Bad"

Discussion in 'Engine, Fuel and Exhaust' started by johnnylowery, Apr 11, 2009.

1. johnnylowery

johnnylowery Member

I keep reading on the web that riding my bike stock is bad for the engine and that I need to change my pipes, air intake and remap it. Is this true? Do the new bikes run too lean and too hot? Can I just change the pipes and air intake or do I have to do all three? I have a 07 FXSTC.

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

I suggest you try a search or use the link in the bottom of this post. You'll find that this same question has been asked no less than 100 times.:s

There's plenty of info on this and other topics to keep you reading until next Easter.

The new bikes definitely run lean and added fuel will help.

3. 00BUCKSHOT

00BUCKSHOT Junior Member

i'll agree......just as long as you leave everything stock.....don't go buy slip on mufflers if your not ready to remap the fuel inj.

4. johnnylowery

johnnylowery Member

One more question..........Can I replace my stock air filter with K&N HD-1499, (It's a drop in filter) without changing anything else and my bike will run fine?

5. 175mws

175mws Active Member

Once you start making changes it will snowball on you. so just be 100% stock tell your ready to do a stage 1 or orther mod. its 4/09 now and your bike is an 07 proof stock works fine. just don't add a temp gauge and you'll be fine.

6. STEVE07

STEVE07 Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderators

Stock is fine,until you do a long run at 90 degree temp. then you will want to change it for your own comfort!

7. 66cruiser

66cruiser Active Member

Stock is not bad.. Just a bit boring.

8. eleft36

eleft36 Junior Member

Maybe this is a good question on this: :D

If you wanted something else, why did you buy this?

Al

9. STEVE07

STEVE07 Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderators

Needed a solid platform to build on!:newsmile036:

10. eleft36

eleft36 Junior Member

I remember years ago watching International chassis piggybacked on Rt.1 on there way to Metro body in Bridgeport to get dressed with the finished van body.

That concept might be the way to buy a "bare bones" version of a Harley, then the buyer can build up from that point.

Al