free website stats program Is my ECU stock? | Harley Davidson Forums

Is my ECU stock?

chelmer

Hi All,

I recently purchased a used 06 FLHTCI from a dealer. The bike was pretty much bone stock when I got it, but it was apparent that at least some things were removed from the bike (Example: the passenger floorboards are tapped for the custom covers). I'm assuming that the previous owner may have wanted to keep his add-ons for his next bike?

So I've since installed true dual headers, mufflers, and stage 1 breather on the bike, along with a Fuelpack.

What I'm curious about is this: It's extremely possible that the previous owner had installed pipes & breather and had the dealer update the ECU to stage 1. Upon gearing up for his trade-in, he removed the said pipes and breather to save for his next bike.

That said, is there a way to check the state of the ECU w/o taking it into the dealer?

It shouldn't matter at this point whether he upgraded the stock unit or not.The Fuelpack should be overriding any previous settings.

It shouldn't matter at this point whether he upgraded the stock unit or not.The Fuelpack should be overriding any previous settings.

A couple of things come to mind here.

1. If it doesn't matter how the ECU is configured, then why are there different maps for the same hardware with Stock ECU, and Stage 1 ECU.

2. The Fuelpak goes between the ECU and the Fuel System. Therefore, it takes the information from the ECU, modifies it, then sends it to the fuel system.

Based on these two facts, I still have to believe that it does matter....

CH...are there any numbers you can see on the ECU module...a date code perhaps? Odds are a replacement would have a newer date code than the manufacturing date of your bike. If the decoding is not obvious, I am sure the dealer could provide some help identifying the manufacture date.

I'll have to check. I don't recall seeing any info on it when I installed the Fuelpak but of course, I wasn't really looking either.

When the dealer burns a Stage 1 map, isn't it just a software change to the ECU? Or do they have to replace it with one that allows them to make changes to it?

One would think HD Dealer has Digital Tech programmer, but still would mark it or have records indicating that it had been mapped. But the date code would at least identify that it was the original unit installed on your bike.

Hi All,

I recently purchased a used 06 FLHTCI from a dealer. The bike was pretty much bone stock when I got it, but it was apparent that at least some things were removed from the bike (Example: the passenger floorboards are tapped for the custom covers). I'm assuming that the previous owner may have wanted to keep his add-ons for his next bike?

So I've since installed true dual headers, mufflers, and stage 1 breather on the bike, along with a Fuelpack.

What I'm curious about is this: It's extremely possible that the previous owner had installed pipes & breather and had the dealer update the ECU to stage 1. Upon gearing up for his trade-in, he removed the said pipes and breather to save for his next bike.

That said, is there a way to check the state of the ECU w/o taking it into the dealer?

Take it for a spin and whack the throttle. If the engine quits at 5500rpm, it's a stock ecm. If you go to 6100, it's a stage 1. If you hold the throttle until the rpms are 6200+ and the engine blows up, you might have a stage 2 download and a blown engine. Just my 2cents.

If the dealer can't look it up in their computer for any reason, they can hook up with the digital tech and tell exactly what is in the ECM as far as the flash.

Take it for a spin and whack the throttle. If the engine quits at 5500rpm, it's a stock ecm. If you go to 6100, it's a stage 1. If you hold the throttle until the rpms are 6200+ and the engine blows up, you might have a stage 2 download and a blown engine. Just my 2cents.

I love it! I think I'll stay away from anything over 6200 rpm :small3d023:

Actually, I think it's a great idea though if done carefully.

Thanks everybody for your input!

Back