free website stats program Is my air filter stock? | Harley Davidson Forums

Is my air filter stock?

FLST

'05 FLSTCI has v@h 2 into 2 pipes. I have heard of intake modifications that use original cover. How do I tell if the air cleaner has been modified to match exhaust? Haven't been able to ride yet due to weather so don't know much except it sounds awesome in the garage (with door open of course). Wondering if pipes alone will improve performance or does the intake have to be changed to keep things right. Hope this isn't too vague. My first HD so I'm sort of stumbling right now.

'05 FLSTCI has v@h 2 into 2 pipes. I have heard of intake modifications that use original cover. How do I tell if the air cleaner has been modified to match exhaust? Haven't been able to ride yet due to weather so don't know much except it sounds awesome in the garage (with door open of course). Wondering if pipes alone will improve performance or does the intake have to be changed to keep things right. Hope this isn't too vague. My first HD so I'm sort of stumbling right now.

You can tell if the aircleaner is stock or not by just looking at the backing plate. Im assuming you have the stock oval chrome cover. If the A/C is stock there will be a black plastic backing plate that is the same oval shape as the chrome cover and the cover actually rests on the backing plate. If it is a high flow you will be able to stick your fingers inbetween the cover and the backing plate as the cover will not "seal" against the backing plate. Hope this helps.

How long have you had your softail? did you just purchase it?? Sometimes folks install pipes and nothing else, so we need to find out if you have a high flo A/C or not and we'll go from there, As in fuel management and such. There is lots of info in the self help section of this forum.

You can tell if the aircleaner is stock or not by just looking at the backing plate. Im assuming you have the stock oval chrome cover. If the A/C is stock there will be a black plastic backing plate that is the same oval shape as the chrome cover and the cover actually rests on the backing plate. If it is a high flow you will be able to stick your fingers inbetween the cover and the backing plate as the cover will not "seal" against the backing plate. Hope this helps.

How long have you had your softail? did you just purchase it?? Sometimes folks install pipes and nothing else, so we need to find out if you have a high flo A/C or not and we'll go from there, As in fuel management and such. There is lots of info in the self help section of this forum.
I bought the bike in December (ya, I know) and haven't had much opporunity to check it out yet. Have heated garage and can do some work. I'll check out the intake according to your directions and see what I find out. You mentioned just what I was wondering. If the orginal owner changed only the pipes and nothing else. I'll take a look tomorrow and see what I can learn. I'll also check out the help section. Thank you for the help Brutal FXDX.

I bought the bike in December (ya, I know) and haven't had much opporunity to check it out yet. Have heated garage and can do some work. I'll check out the intake according to your directions and see what I find out. You mentioned just what I was wondering. If the orginal owner changed only the pipes and nothing else. I'll take a look tomorrow and see what I can learn. I'll also check out the help section. Thank you for the help Brutal FXDX.
Was going to wait till tomorrow, but after replying to your post I just had to go out and check it out. The air cleaner cover says "Screaming Eagle" on it. Is that a Harley thing or after market? There is no backing plate and I can reach my fingers behind cover and feel the air filter.

Was going to wait till tomorrow, but after replying to your post I just had to go out and check it out. The air cleaner cover says "Screaming Eagle" on it. Is that a Harley thing or after market? There is no backing plate and I can reach my fingers behind cover and feel the air filter.

Screaming Eagle is Harley's line of racing/high performance parts and accessories. I think there might be one or two of us who bought some of these parts and don't ever intend to race, though!

:lolrolling

You may already have stage 1 on your bike what else do you know about your bike?

You may already have stage 1 on your bike what else do you know about your bike?
When I bought the bike I didn't know a stage 1 from a tea pot. The dealer didn't give much information. Maybe he didn't know much or more likely was just trying to sell a bike. I only know it's a one owner and has been very well cared for. Sounds great (and loud; a big change for a Honda rider) and starts right up every time (although I don't start it much in this cold). It has 12,000 miles and about 6/32" tread on both tires. All the crome is bright and has only minor "swirl" scratches on some places on the black paint. My cousin remarked that a couple of the (I think oil lines) just in back of the air cleaner cover are chromed. Hope I am making sense on that one. They go from the lower part of the motor up to I am not sure where yet. As I said, I'm new to Harley's and am in the beginning phase of my education.
I love this forum. You guys are great in helping a newby find his feet.

When I bought the bike I didn't know a stage 1 from a tea pot. The dealer didn't give much information. Maybe he didn't know much or more likely was just trying to sell a bike. I only know it's a one owner and has been very well cared for. Sounds great (and loud; a big change for a Honda rider) and starts right up every time (although I don't start it much in this cold). It has 12,000 miles and about 6/32" tread on both tires. All the crome is bright and has only minor "swirl" scratches on some places on the black paint. My cousin remarked that a couple of the (I think oil lines) just in back of the air cleaner cover are chromed. Hope I am making sense on that one. They go from the lower part of the motor up to I am not sure where yet. As I said, I'm new to Harley's and am in the beginning phase of my education.
I love this forum. You guys are great in helping a newby find his feet.
Those are probablt the push rod tubes there should be 4 of them 2 per cylinder, or the backing plate of the air cleaner may have chrome breather tubes either way if it runs good have a ball and keep reading the Forum and we will help you, also Buy a HD Manual

They are not the push rod tubes. Upon closer inspection I see they run from the oil tank (figured that one out all by myself, lol) and back. One has a flex fitting in the middle. Just wondered if they were stock. My dad rode Harley's but I didn't learn much about them as I was away serving in the Navy most of the time. Wondered if they were stock. Don't recall seeing such on his bikes, but may have missed it as I never looked them over that closely. I didn't really notice when I was looking it over until my cousin pointed it out to me. He rides an old Sportster so knows the look somewhat.

Buy yourself a HD service manual for your bike (like Jack said).
I wrenched a little before I got the manual, now with forum and manual help, feel very confident messing with the bike.
Might want to search internet for screaming eagle carb and compare picture to what you have on bike. I'm sure as well if you post a picture on the forum, someone will tell you what you have.

Back