free website stats program Is my 2011 Fatboy using to much oil | Harley Davidson Forums

Is my 2011 Fatboy using to much oil

davidfb

I have 2165 miles on my FB, got the first service done at 1041 miles(8-9-11), when I took it in the oil was in middle of Dipstick(add and full). I now have 2165 and oil level is in middle of dipstick. Should I add oil when it is not full or wait until it is near add? Before the first oil change I asked the Harley shop and they said not to add oil unless it was near or on add mark. Is it normal for it to use this much oil or is this very much oil consumption. Have not seen any type of leaks or oil residue.
Thanks for any help or advice.

David

Do you know what your starting point was? When I purchased my bike my oil level was between 1/2 and 3/4's full, and that is where I keep it when I change the oil.

Yes...was the oil @ full on dipstick when new + after service? I keep mine @ 1/2 (between full & add) so there's no blow-by through the a/c so this could be why yours is at same level...

Upper line full. Lower line you need oil. Any where in between is normal operating range. If trying to keep at upper line alll the time it may just drive you crazy.........:s

I have 2165 miles on my FB, got the first service done at 1041 miles(8-9-11), when I took it in the oil was in middle of Dipstick(add and full). I now have 2165 and oil level is in middle of dipstick. Should I add oil when it is not full or wait until it is near add? Before the first oil change I asked the Harley shop and they said not to add oil unless it was near or on add mark. Is it normal for it to use this much oil or is this very much oil consumption. Have not seen any type of leaks or oil residue.
Thanks for any help or advice.

David

I would check often (before and after riding) and see if the level is going down. If level is going down, I would be concern.

Thanks for the replies, I check it pretty much after each ride. I know after the 1000 mile checkup it was on full mark, so it has taken 4 months and 1124 miles to go from full mark to half way between add and full.

It sounds like it's using some oil, you didn't mention what kind of a break in you did when it was new.

Give this a try, it can't hurt anything but may help in seating the rings a bit.

Harley Davidson Community
I am still a newbie, after reading your link about break in I will try that. I tried to break in following manual but it does not say much. I probably have only been to 3000 rpm a few times, I try to keep rpm above 2000 in any gear. Have only been in 6th a few times on the interstate. I would say on average the rpm is around 2200 and 2600.
Thanks again

And Remember an air cooled motor has to use a bit of oil to keep things cool and lubed:s

Back