free website stats program Is it worth it | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Is it worth it

I did a top end on my friends 2002 Springer,he wanted more power.Bored stock jugs to 95,S&S pistons & rejetted his carb.Got 2K miles so far with no problems.Big difference in performce,He loves it.Doesn't beat my RG,but I don't walk away from him as easy as I used too.$500.00 in parts.He says it was well worth it!

Each change is a nail biter when you want reliability but also more power. I love my bike and I love working on my bike. However I don't want to work on it because its constantly breaking down. I understand that not everyone wants to work on their own bike. What we all have in common is riding. That being said I bought all the specialty tools and did my upgrades myself (with help from this forum) and a good manual and few "learning" mistakes. I have to say that when I went on our long trip this summer fully loaded with wife and luggage I never once worried about my bike "making it there or taking me home again." On the other hand it has a carb which makes that simple to work on too. I agree with Glider in that once you take it through that dealer door you don't know who is working on it? I don't have to work fast but I have to do it right. (Least I hope so) . The only thing i get from dealer is parts and tires put on (and they messed that up too. Told me it was balanced. It wasn't. I statically balanced it myself. Worked fine). I honestly needed more power. I weigh 320 lbs so I'm like 2 people riding all the time. Those mountain passes can be frustrating when you run out of power. Each person has to decide what level of power versus reliability they are willing to risk I guess? It's never an easy decision but I'm happy with my choices.
My two cents.

Thanks for all the replies,sorry for getting back so late. Had a birthday party to attend after work. So if i just did hydralic tensioner upgrade to get rid old style tensioners, would that be safe? Should a person just keep replacing old style?

You could go either way depending on how much $$$ you want to spend but the upgrade would take the worry about a tensioner going bad.

Thanks for all the input. Probably will just do hydralic tensioner upgrade,bike has been very dependable and at 60,000 still runs fine.

what does your heart say??? that is all that really maters, 2 of my bikes are old evos and i love them, do what your heart says. but remember there is alot out there if you are not possitive

if you do the solid gear route, make sure you change to a stiffer oil spring to raise your oil pressure.;as the cage style bearings need the quick injection of oil on start-up. imo i used the fueling oil spring got 15 idle and 55 psi above idle.

if you do the solid gear route, make sure you change to a stiffer oil spring to raise your oil pressure.;as the cage style bearings need the quick injection of oil on start-up. imo i used the fueling oil spring got 15 idle and 55 psi above idle.

I like the gear drive kits, but don't think I will ever get one UNLESS I get a trued custom crankshaft from S&S due to HD's runout clearances.

Here is a very good video on the ins and outs of the all gear drive

Gear Drive Cams - YouTube

The type of riding you do can play a factor in a build too.

Is it worth it? That's up to you man. I know it was worth it for me.

Crank runout would play a factor in gear drive cams as well. 99-02 TCs had more pressure put on the crank when assemblied at the factory too. Thats a plus for you.

Back