free website stats program Is it worth it | Harley Davidson Forums

Is it worth it

I have 2002 rk flhri, almost 60,000 miles. Cam shoe tensioners changed at 40,000 miles. Thinking about, as a winter project, going to gear drives and cam change. Also, thought about 95" upgrade. Is the 95" upgrade worth it? I've read posts on here about doing upgrades and stuff to the motor causes problems. I want a reliable bike. Would this cause problems? What do you think?
Thanks for your input,
Big D 2002 rk

did you read the "have i opened a can of worms? my guess is " how you ride your bike after the upgrade. burnouts ;lots of stress on the engine . others who have done this upgrade can tell more specificly how the bike may react.
but i'm like you ,you want more power, thats natural after you get use to the level that your bike has.hope the best fore you.

Yes, brownfoxx1 right after I did my post. Yeah your right I would like more power, and still a reliable bike. I don't do burnnouts or wheelies anymore. I do have the 88" motor and read on here that the cranks are probably more in specs than the newer ones. Was just wandering if while I am in there should a guy maybe go ahead and do the 95" upgrade. The bike doesn't use oil or anything, has the stage one, fulsac true duels, k&n air filter and tfi. Does the 95" upgrade give you that much more power compared to just adding cams?

If it ain't broke don't fix it. I don't believe that Harleys are made for 100 or more h/p. If you want to go fast a Suzuki or Kawasaki might be in your future.
Ken

I love my harley. Just would like to get rid of my problem tensioners. Can't decide which is better, gear drives, not ever have to worry about it again, or hydralic upgrade, not sure how long they will last. Some people say while your in there do cam change. Don't really know what to do???

Do the tensioner up grade as preventive maintenance and save the rest of your money for gas and motel rooms OR put it toward a new device with the 103 which is obviously bigger than the 95 and would have the 6 speed transmission and 6 gallons of gas.

A new device is big bucks. I like my bike, just want to do some upgrades to it. I've read where some people say the 5 speeds are better trannys, i'm sure all are good. I've read Bubbies post with cam plate problems if you do the hydralic upgrade would I have to worry about that? Or would the gear drives be a better option? Thanks, Big D

A lot of you will not have 20,000 miles on a 10 year old bike, why would you even think of replacing it with a new machine. The older bikes are a better machine if you take care of them and don't beat them. The new bikes have many issues. They do handle better, but if you add the stabilzer link to your older bike it will much improve.
Ken

When I was younger we all did the big bore kits, stroker kits and cams. We were some faster but not as smart in big picture.

Now I tend to want to upgrade things like Handlebars, a tuner, oil cooler etc.

As far as internally I will ride my engine as it is (and fix it as it is) until it's days are over. At that time if it's mathematically more condusive to replace the entire engine than buy a new bike, I will either send it to S&S for one of their fine rebuilds OR just do the Factory rebuild.

It's all what makes the most sense and is functional to your scenario.

A new device is big bucks. I like my bike, just want to do some upgrades to it. I've read where some people say the 5 speeds are better trannys, i'm sure all are good. I've read Bubbies post with cam plate problems if you do the hydralic upgrade would I have to worry about that? Or would the gear drives be a better option? Thanks, Big D

In actuality, the 5 speeds are a better unit than the 6 speeds structurally speaking. If you have ridden a 6 speed, place your hand on the clutch handle lightly as if you are taking the slack out of the cable and accelerate in first gear a bit more than normal and without removing your hand, go from acceleration to deceleration (engine breaking) and notice what you feel in the lever.
The newer transmissions have more flex than the older ones because of the way they are built and trying to save $$$ with cheaper parts and plastic retainers on the bearings.
Bubbies problem is only one example of what I am trying to say with upgrades and opening up an engine for modifications. To date, I believe his problem returned again even after what he has done to correct it. I would rather have a little less power but from a dependable engine that won't leave me on the side of the road or getting towed home.
As far as the gear drives, new set of problems there like crank run-out and if you can even use the gear drives. The cam tensioner upgrade will be more lenient of crank runout without presenting it's own set of problems.

Back