is it true

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by sadragna, Aug 8, 2013.

1. sadragna

sadragna Member

Someone told me that the only true 6 speed transmission is on the cvo modles 110 motors and that the 103 motor are not true 6 speed. Is that right?
    [​IMG]

2. HDSickness

HDSickness Banned

Not sure what you mean by "true 6 speed" but I have 6 gears and have used them so I know I have a 6 speed tranny.
    It even says so on the cover.:dknow

3. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

AS in a true over drive transmission I believe he is talking about:s

4. sadragna

sadragna Member

I belive he said my 6 gear is just an over drive and his is a 6 gear is a 6 gear what ever that means but like hdsickness said I also counted to 6 and the 6 lighte up on my tach.
    [​IMG]

5. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Harley achieves the overdrive gearing thru the 6 speed and the gearing of the primary drive, Baker has a true Overdrive tranny and now a 7 speed available, tho the H D 6 speed is a very good set up IMO

6. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

HD sixth gear is 1:1. It's direct drive. That's really what I would want for a final transmission gear ratio. It's the most efficient way to transfer power to the rear wheel.
    I also can't see looking at the HD transmission as anything but a 6 speed transmission.

7. ImaRider

ImaRider Active Member

If we get anymore speeds pretty soon we will be shifting into high and low gears. Wouldn't that be fun?

8. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

I would like to find what difference is in the transmission between motors????

9. screwylouie

screwylouie Active Member

OOOOhhhh!! It's twoo!!

10. STEVE07

STEVE07 Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderators

I have a 1981 Honda 900 custom with a high/low transmission . They introduced it for sport or touring. I have owned that bike for 30 yrs. and it runs as well as it did when I bought it.