free website stats program Is it too crazy to return to OEM from aftermarket exhaust system? | Harley Davidson Forums

Is it too crazy to return to OEM from aftermarket exhaust system?

Ego_55

Hello...

I recently bought a 2003 100th. Anniversary FLSTFI Fatboy, it is beautiful and came loaded with extras...
It has the Vance&Hines Longshot original exhaust system (about 500-600usd new), that sounds great and I guess performs also good BUT I do like and prefer the looks of the stock OEM shotgun mufflers... so, being a newbie, I would like opinions on how crazy or not is this... any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!!

You didn't say what else had been done to the bike. If the bike has been tuned for the exhaust and maybe free breathing air cleaner and maybe new cam you will need to retune the motor. There are many shotgun aftermarket exhaust on the market and this might be a better trade.

Go for it. You can always change it back. My buddy has a 2016 Ultra, and we both think the stock exhaust sounds nice. Definitely better than the Thunderheader his old bike had.

You can always change the baffles in the stock pipes for better sound and performance, I say if you like it go for it

Remove the seat and see if a fueler device is mounted. Then bike has been tuned for modifications. So if you already have the O.E. mufflers install them and see what happens. I would not pay crazy money for O.E. mufflers if you do not have them. Craigslist is a good place to start the hunt...

Thank you very much everybody... I will check for ad-ons on the bike, but seems like just the longshots were added... I do like the looks of the stocks but going from 500usd V&H pipes to 30-50usd used stock muffles kinda bothers me... I don't want to downgrade the performance... anyway I'll give it a try and post...

Back