free website stats program Is it really necessary? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Is it really necessary?

There is no requirement to change the cams since you are going with the SE kit, and you are happy with the performance of the original cams. With the Andrews kit, or buying a kit with the plate that has the cam shafts run in a journal bearing, the cams have to be changed.

With those kits that have the cams running in bearings pressed in the plate, you can reuse the original cams if you so desire. You may want to consider changing out the sprockets on the cams to roller chain sprockets and use a roller chain on the inside of the plate. If not, it is probably a good idea to replace the silent chain if the original cams with the original sprockets are used. Definitely install new bearings in the new plate if it doesn't come that way.

Unfortunately, it seems that John (Herko) is no longer putting kits together. This is a big shame. His kit was very well thought out, and with the optional stuff he offered, it was a one-stop-shop!!

TQ

no more HERKO kits???? this is not good news for twincam88 owners.

I just got mine replaced in a 2000 Ultra Classic under extended warranty. It runs really good, and like you say, the oil pressure is very good. The bike has about 48,000 miles. I kept my old cams.

Can you please tell me if there is any danger of tensioner wear or bearing breaking up on my 2008 Ultra Classic?

Your '08 has the roller chain set up with hydraulic tensioners that are the topic of the discussion above. So you do not have the same concerns about the old style spring-loaded tensioners. The jury is still out on the new style tensioners however. We will see how they perform after a few years of history.

TQ

Back