free website stats program Is it my clutch? | Harley Davidson Forums

Is it my clutch?

83Bobber

Hi,

new to the forums and a little new to bikes. Hoping some of my car knowledge transfers over.

I was riding last summer and all of a sudden, i had a hard time getting my bike in gear. Was on the expressway and pulled off on a ramp, put it in neutral, then had a hard time getting it into first. Then shifts to second, third, fourth only happened when the RPMs drop to idle.

I'm assuming the clutch isn't engaging. Took it to a shop and asked for a clutch adjustment on the advice from someone but didn't help. not sure exactly what happened during the clutch adjustment other than the nuts holding the springs on were backed out a few turns. still hard to shift. dry clutch.

am i diagnosing the problem correctly? clutch? or tranny?

thanks

check your primary chain tensioner, shoe in primary. + get a manual for your year & it has a trouble shooting sec. + do a clutch adj yourself w/ manuals help,,this is what i would do + check tranny oil + change oil look for excessive fillings on magnetic drain plug..+ welcome ,.,.,.,.,.,

Hi,

new to the forums and a little new to bikes. Hoping some of my car knowledge transfers over.

I was riding last summer and all of a sudden, i had a hard time getting my bike in gear. Was on the expressway and pulled off on a ramp, put it in neutral, then had a hard time getting it into first. Then shifts to second, third, fourth only happened when the RPMs drop to idle.

I'm assuming the clutch isn't engaging. Took it to a shop and asked for a clutch adjustment on the advice from someone but didn't help. not sure exactly what happened during the clutch adjustment other than the nuts holding the springs on were backed out a few turns. still hard to shift. dry clutch.

am i diagnosing the problem correctly? clutch? or tranny?

thanks
Buy the manual , the dry clutch is way different than the wet clutch, but not that hard to adjust if you read the manual, even if you have to replace it it is pretty easy:)

4 speed. I just got the clymer manual in the mail yesterday so will have a look in there and see what i can figure out.

thanks for the help.

4 speed. I just got the clymer manual in the mail yesterday so will have a look in there and see what i can figure out.

thanks for the help.

Check these things out in the manual

1. The arm(clutch release) that comes off the transmission that the clutch cable hooks to. There is certain distance the arm should be from the round part on top of transmission(13/16"). This is important

2. Adjust pushrod per manual.

3. Plate that holds the springs distance from the pressure plate edge. This measurement should be the same all the way around. If it 7/8' or less the factory manual says the clutch not engage properly. The nuts might be turned in two far.

Good Luck

Back