free website stats program Is a Sportster a "real" Harley? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Is a Sportster a "real" Harley?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sportster is a true harley and I don't think of it as a starter bike or otherwise. I bought my wife a Sporty for she just liked the looks. And ...... when some gave her a bad time, she would leave 'em in her dust! Sporties are fast and hold there own with many of the HD bikes. If you like it, ride it. It's all good!.
Ugly John

Loved my Sporty! Like others have said, they are fast and handle very well. Only problem for me was comfort. Riding down the highway with 35 mph gusts was not an easy task.

My first Harley was also a Sportster and the only reason I bought the Ultra was for long touring distances and I could not afford both. I still regret selling the Sportster though.

Back in the late 60's early 70's I owned a couple different bikes, A honda 750 and Truimph 650 Bonnivelle. One of my riding buddies had a Sportster. I just couldn't afford one. He was always the guy with the girls admiring his bike and his well you get the picture. Now that I have a little money, I bought a FatBob. But a Sporty is the first bike that comes to mind when you mention Harley. Back in early 70's 1200'cc's was a bike everyone wished they had. Now my FatBob with duel headlamps, I think people think I"m coming at them with a metric. But after I pass them, they know it's a HARLEY. :bigsmiley20:

Just tell them............. ah forget it. I have no time to argue with stupid people, most people that throw out that saying, are uncontrollable idiots. I refuse to have a battle of wits with unarmed people. Is it a real Harley? It's as real as it get's!!! Why Waltz when you can rock n roll!!!!

I rode two Sportster before I got my Dyna.... the only reason I sold my first Sporty a 1200 Sport was that it wasn't very comfy on longer rides but it was much fun to ride and I liked the look...

All people who ask such a question don't have an idea what a Harley is!

Here are some pics of really sick Sporties....no other Harley has that special look!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is a Sportster a real Harley? You bet your bippy it is! Anyone that says it's not is just trying to compensate for their own inferiority. :bigsmiley20:

In fact IMHO its not just a Harley but also a 50s style hot rod. The fact that it was introduced to compete with the hottest bikes of the era (Triumph, BSA, etc.) is not lost on those of us who have and love Sportys. Although I had a great customized Softail, when it came time to make room in the garage for my new ride it was the Sporty that stayed and the Softail had to go to a new home.

Your first Harley is like your first love, sometimes you just can't let it go. :bigsmiley16:

I have had 2 sporty,s in my 40 yrs of riding and i loved them but to be honest they rode a little rough around the edges but i was younger then and could take it lousy getting old because i miss them and unless im wrong sportys are harley number one seller,jel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back