free website stats program Irony of Ironies. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Irony of Ironies.

R.I.P...It's all about FREEDOM of choice...Everyone speculates about what might have been...That's all it is...speculation..

Porter got it right..."Latest studies show...Living will kill you"...You can not argue that one!

Sad story indeed. Condolences to his family and friends.

I support the personal freedom to choose; too bad so many others (especially non-riders) don't and would rather dictate to those that ride. Rider education is a better way to go about it and let them make up their own minds.

And, yes, I do wear a helmet. Kinda feel naked without it after all these years.

Right on Porter! Many have been conditioned by the media, the government and by self proclaimed experts to believe that if we wear a helmet, seat belt or take the government approved drugs we will live a long and happy life.

What they refuse to admit are the hundreds of thousands of riders and the millions of miles each year who have no crashes. If you would believe the stories, every time you get on your motorcycle you are going to crash.

I made a conscious choice years ago to ignore the ranting of the doomsayers and live my life to the fullest. I ride my motorcycle sans helmet, I ski, I never avoid adventure, I do avoid the AMA hacks (not the American Motorcycle Assn, the quack doctors) and use a homeopath doctor. I am in better health than most of my peers and when I do die, as we all will I can say I have no regrets of things not done.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin

I was on that ride and was chatting with Contos before the ride. From talking to eye witnesses that where behind him, they say that a boot lace came untied and ended up in the chain. Others who stopped say that his injuries where severe and that a helmet may not have saved him. It's sad that the media is putting all the emphasis on the helmet and not the man losing his life.

Right on Porter! Many have been conditioned by the media, the government and by self proclaimed experts to believe that if we wear a helmet, seat belt or take the government approved drugs we will live a long and happy life.

What they refuse to admit are the hundreds of thousands of riders and the millions of miles each year who have no crashes. If you would believe the stories, every time you get on your motorcycle you are going to crash.

I made a conscious choice years ago to ignore the ranting of the doomsayers and live my life to the fullest. I ride my motorcycle sans helmet, I ski, I never avoid adventure, I do avoid the AMA hacks (not the American Motorcycle Assn, the quack doctors) and use a homeopath doctor. I am in better health than most of my peers and when I do die, as we all will I can say I have no regrets of things not done.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin

Thanks Mainah but just to be clear, I get Gasbag's point. If I am playing the odds (for myself), I always wear a helmet. But it is the base logic of Gasbag's argument that I disagree with, only in as much as feeling the urge to apply it to someone else. If Gasbag is correct, than so is making a law that riding a motorcycle it too dangerous and everyone should be in cars. What is an acceptable risk to motorcyclists (riding a motorcycle) may not be an acceptable risk to others (car drivers). Who am I to force you to do what I think is best? Gasbag saw some horrible injuries, no doubt. And Gasbag's conclusions make perfect sense and again, odds are that I side with wearing a helmet in my opinion. But what he may not have observe was all the necks not broken from a little extra mass on top of your head in the form of a helmet during a crash.
Who knows? I sure don't.
I just wave to other riders as I pass and hope I get another day to ride tomorrow.

Don't get me wrong, I am not against using helmets. In fact I wear one from time to time, in the rain or cold. Even though they are not required in Maine or New Hampshire. A couple of my friends wear them all the time, one is a new rider of about 10 years and the other started to lately. That's OK with me, I don't give anyone a hard time unless they get on me about safety this and safety that.

That's when I remind them that this country was founded on freedom and the right to make your own choices and take the consequences. I've been riding for 50 years and have not needed a helmet yet. I hear people say things like " those who haven't gone down will go down", but fatalism just isn't my style and I'm still waiting to "go down".

If I never did anything that could have gotten me killed I would be a very dull boy, but no matter what happens at least I have some great memories. :Banane01::Banane01::Banane01::Banane01::Banane01:

The helmet argument will continue forever.
I always wear a helmet and for just two reasons.
1. I am fairly certain I know where my brains are located.
2. I am retired from working ER and surgery. I have seen what happens when a helmet isn't worn.

A helmet can't save you from every situation. But it can save you.
Why in the heck would I take a chance?

Great point Steve.
I can't say I started riding a motorcycle (with or without a helmet or body armor) to be "safer".

So, last night, I road my wife's 2002 dyna over to my brother-in-law's house (25 min each way) with just a T-shirt, jeans and helmet. This was the 3rd time I have ever ridden without an armored jacket and chaps (helmet is mandatory in MD) and I ride my UC 99% of the time.

I was back to full armor this morning, but it is a VERY nice feeling riding in a t shirt. Especially on a bike without a fairing. Last night, it was worth the risk and I am glad I did it.

Helmet or No Helmet?
My condolence to the family:(

For the rest of us riders.

"one" cannot talk their way out of a situation they behaved "oneself" into.
Al

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

Back