Iron Butt's New England 1000

Discussion in 'Road Trips/Touring' started by timba, Aug 5, 2008.

1. timba

timba Member

I completed this ride back in June of 2000 on a 2000 Ultra:

Ride4Ever.org IRON BUTT NEW ENGLAND 1000 RECAP

So, I got a new bike this year and decided to attempt this ride again, this time with a riding buddy.

The bike was ready:

tall windshield installed;
    90% coated in Paint Protection Film at Home
    1,000 service, but needed another 2/3 qt of oil before leaving with 1,720 miles on it;

and we were ready to set out to earn a pin AND a patch, by completing the Iron Butt Association’s New England 1000 ride.

Iron Butt Association Main Menu

http://members.aol.com/NE1000Run/index.html

My buddy was a man possessed and I apologize if I slowed him down (we stopped 17 times: 9 for gas, 4 for tolls, 2 for 15 minutes of sleep, 1 for rain and 1 for a congratulatory good-bye).

These are the numbers for me and my 2008 CVO Ultra: rode 1,020 miles in 21 hours, through all 6 New England states, left 7pm, home by 4pm, $35 to register, $120 for 27 gallons gas, $5.50 for tolls, averaged 37 mpg and 48 mph;

My most memorable moment, besides realizing I was on the wrong side of the double yellow lines at 3am, was near Burlington, VT, after donning rain gear and garbage bags, we had just peaked into a hilly, left curve in the pouring rain, when a speeding train seemed to come right at us,,, kinda took my breath away for a second (friggin tracks were right next to the road).

Hope the MoCo's 110 Product Improvement Campaign will solve the high oil consumption problem: used 2/3 qt on this 1,000 mile ride.

enter your VIN and miles at:

https://www.harley-davidson.com/EX/MNT/SCHK/en/servicecheckup.asp?locale=en_US&bmLocale=en_US

mine resulted in:

Product Notice: 0905: PRD PGM: 07/08 CVO 110 HEADS

OK, ‘nuff ‘bout me and my bike, let’s hear ‘bout yours.

2. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Congratulations on your achievement. Someday I might attempt this feat but right now my back and butt are good for about 300-400 miles and then I'm ready for a cold one!

3. NHROADGLIDER

NHROADGLIDER Member

Sounds pretty cool, I been thinkng of trying this and now that I have a new RG I will, although probably not this year as we are taking a long 12 day trip down to the dragons tail and back.