free website stats program Iron Butt Ride | Harley Davidson Forums

Iron Butt Ride

BikeSAG

The Iron Butt Association is having a Saddle Sore 1000 this weekend out of Oklahoma City. You leave at noon on Saturday, out somewhere 500 miles and back by or before noon on Sunday. Of course there are specifications on how you must document the ride to submit for verification. I'm going, trying to get my neighbor to ride as well. I've picked I44 to St. Louis and back, 511 miles each way.

The route is up to you, it's what they call "pick your poison".

Anyone done this before?

Good luck on your ride. Be safe and let us know how it goes.

If you are use to riding for hours on end, 500 mile days are doable depending on weather and traffic. Eat well and stay hydrated. Have fun and ride safe.

Well, made it back safe and sound.

1015 miles in 22 hours 32 minutes.

I left at 9am Saturday the 6th and was home at 7:32am on the 7th.

I rode 782 hours the first day in 11 1/2 hours (68 mph average with stops included) stopping every 150 miles for gas, water and a snack. I had my cruiser caddy on with a cooler so I could also stay hydrated during the ride.

Stopped after 782 miles and got a cheap hotel to shower and get about a 5 hour power nap. Up at 3am, breakfast at Waffle House (love their coffee) then hit the rode home for the final push.

A unique experience (I've done 500 mile days before). I-44 through NE Oklahoma and across Missouri is beautiful. The often 75 MPH posted speed limit certainly helped me to cover some ground quickly. Advil was my friend, along with my back rest, cramp buster on the throttle grip, and blue tooth headset so wifey can call and check on me and of course for tunes, gotta have tunes, oh and of course my Colt 45 on my hip.

For me after the first 200 miles my posterior end (can I say that here) seemed to settle in for the journey.

The 2007 Heritage FLSTC with 54,000 trusted miles never missed a beat. Only pre-service I did was change the oil and spark plugs. MPG averaged 38, low as 35 (I pushed triple digits a couple times) and as high as 42. I can say that twin cam loves the 6 speed at 80MPH, just under 3000 rpm (that's cruis'n)

Attachments

• Saddle Sore 1000.jpg
    Saddle Sore 1000.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 18
Congrats on your ride! I just returned from a trip to Michigan (in a van:() and we traveled 44. It is a beautiful part of the country for sure!

Happy to hear you made it back home safe and sound! Thanks for the update and information. That's a lot of ridin' for sure. This weekend I made about 500 total miles Sat and Sun - and my (hummmm) bottom end was actually hurting. Had me squirming in the seat after 3 hours for sure. Couldn't wait to stop for gas -- whewwwww! Felt good to get off. I can't imagine right now going on 11-12 hours a day. However, just getting off and letting the blood flow I guess seemed to perk me right up again.

Thanks again for your posts
Bill

Back