free website stats program Iron 883 | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Iron 883

The great thing is you can ride all season to scope out your next scoot if you out grow the sporty.

Alot of sporty riders love their rides and can't think of riding anything else. Myself included. But, there are just too many nice bikes out there........

Enjoy it for what it is and don't worry about it.

Pump her up to 1200 and have a ball

I've just a long ride from my home in England to Dublin via car ferry.
I had my XL883 upgraded to 1200 a few months back. I can tell ya - it ate the road. I haven't had the rear sprocket changed so top speed is still less than a factory 1200 but I got 115mph out of it which is pacey enough for me.
What I love is the torque and the grunting acceleration.

Try it on 883 and then upgrade if you wish but I'm glad I did.
:D

Old racers mantra, no substitute for cubic inches...that said, even an 883 is no slouch...you will enjoy either one, just a matter of the other items that "close the deal", opportunity, desired application, financing and "emotion(s) in the moment" like us guys don't have the latter...:laugh

thanks guys. And I was just reading the old posts in this thread and someone asks if i would be riding with 2 people. and I wouldn't really ever be riding with 2. my fiance is terrifed of motorcycles and would never ride on one. so it would pretty much be just me.

I'm 225, 6`and I drove my wife IRON around a couple time and I can tell you, it will be enought, and there nice to ride too!

Back in 1986, I traded my 1979 Triumph Bonneville special in on a new 883.
I put about 50,000 miles on the Triumph, one ride (by myself) of 9000 miles around the US in 4 weeks, but Triumph went out of business, so long rides on it were out, no place to get parts. It did not lack speed or power.

I thought the 1986 883 was close to the Triumph, light, nimble.
The 883 at that time had a 4 speed trans I think, chain drive, solid mounted motor, and I remember blasting down 95 in Philadelphia at over 110 mph dodging cars and so on, seemed good enough for me!
My big beef was the small gas tank.

I got a beef with people thinking 900cc's is a small bike, and its not a 'good' bike unless its got a motor bigger than some cars, and weighs almost as much.
A huge bike, with no ground clearance is not much fun, and not very safe, someone pulls out in front of you and you have no choice but to plow into it.

I am sure a new 883 will do over 100 mph, and there are not many places you can get away with that without trouble.

I cant figure out why people are not happy unless their butt is a foot off the ground, and they have at least 2000 cc's.

Brett

If you want more inches stroke it stroker sporsters have been tearing up hiways for years, nothing wrong with an 883, Harleys longest running production bike long live the Sportster

My best friend is right around your size and he has an iron..
we ride together all the time and he's always smoking everyone off the line.
And he has no problem keeping pace at 100mph, i believe he said he got it to 120mph
He is a very experienced rider and has put 15,000 miles on his iron in the past year and a half. All those miles and he's still not bored of the 883
I think you'll be fine with the 883 even before any upgrades

Back