free website stats program Iron 883 | Harley Davidson Forums

Iron 883

antibullock

I was thinking about buying a 2010 iron 883 in the next week or so but Im afriad its not going to be enough bike. I was going to do the 1200 bigbore kit and vance and hines exhaust, and the screaming eagle heavy breather. With that compination do you guys think that would make it enough bike. I'm like 5,9 160lbs. thanks for the help. THis would not be my first bike just my first harley.

antibullock; the Iron 883 alone is enough bike for your frame, but your listed mods will make it even "meatier." I'm 5'11"/180lbs. & my old XL1200C Sporty w/S1 had plenty of oomph - good luck w/the Iron!

thanks guys I had a 250 ninja and just didn't likeit at all. So I sold it. I just didn't like the sound of it or how small it was. but I need something that gets good gas milage because i have a lift ford f250 6.0L diesel that gets like 10mpg at 3.17 a gallon and I drive like 80miles a day so yeah. thanks for the advice.

Is a 1200 so much more expensive that you would get an 883 and make it a 1200?

My gal had an 883 for an month or so before deciding on a 1200 so she could "keep up with the guys".

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking about buying a 2010 iron 883 in the next week or so but Im afriad its not going to be enough bike. I was going to do the 1200 bigbore kit and vance and hines exhaust, and the screaming eagle heavy breather. With that compination do you guys think that would make it enough bike. I'm like 5,9 160lbs. thanks for the help. THis would not be my first bike just my first harley.

I think the power would be fine but it seems to me that the lack of suspension travel would be the limiting factor for me. I've only ridden one solo so can't say anything from my personal experience about two up riding but can't imagine that it would be good for other than short rides. Would be a great bike for around town solo use.

I was going to suggest the Nightster or even the fortyeight but, it appears Hobbit explained the advantages of going with the OP thoughts.

Just noticed the OP mentioned commuting. I'd still consider the factory 1200 N to get the benefit of the factory gearing for cruising speed.

Last edited:
The 883 iron is a neat looking low cost sporty. It is a little short on power but can be pumped up if you really wanted to. If a sporty to just knock around on is what you want it is not a bad bike. If you want any more than that you will out grow it in about 2000 miles.

thats sort of what Im worried about out growing it. but that would be why I was asking about beefing it up.

thats sort of what Im worried about out growing it. but that would be why I was asking about beefing it up.

The great thing is you can ride all season to scope out your next scoot if you out grow the sporty.

Alot of sporty riders love their rides and can't think of riding anything else. Myself included. But, there are just too many nice bikes out there........

Enjoy it for what it is and don't worry about it.

Back