free website stats program IPA or Denatured Alcohol | Harley Davidson Forums

IPA or Denatured Alcohol

Texicun

The harley shop used a Sure Shot pressurized sprayer w/ "ALCOHOL" in it to wash down the oil filter area when changing the oil. Would that have been IPA or Denatured as it could get on the painted surfaces. Since i'm going to be doing my own oil changes now, i'm getting the sprayed yet I want to make sure I don't take the paint off

Thanks

Actually I would say go with denatured. Denatured is actually ethanol that has been made non-drinkable by adding a shot (2%) of methanol. I have never had any problems using 98% ethanol on anything that was painted. But not much experience with power coated surfaces. Try it on a test sample of power coat just to see if it leaves a white stain. :p

I use denatured alcohol on all my vehicles to remove the tree sap that I have from that the stupid (but beautiful) maple tree puts out all summer long.
Craig

The harley shop used a Sure Shot pressurized sprayer w/ "ALCOHOL" in it to wash down the oil filter area when changing the oil. Would that have been IPA or Denatured as it could get on the painted surfaces. Since i'm going to be doing my own oil changes now, i'm getting the sprayed yet I want to make sure I don't take the paint off

Thanks

One other thing about Isopropyl Alcohol...the 70% variety or "Rubbing alcohol, has fragrence for milder "fumes" and oil products to minimize drying of the skin, so if you do use ISP Alcohol as a cleaner, do use the 100% stuff. :D

neither will damage your paint, HD clean painted surfaces with isopropyl before using doublesided tape etc, and i think denatured for denim finish? used both and never had a problen, also get a spray can of degreaser and spray it under the filter before removal,it makes clean up much easier.

I got a Sure Shot 2000 for my b-day, it's brass, can I store the denatured/IPA in it w/o it eating up the Brass?

Back