free website stats program Investment | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Investment

Nice to remember where we been, not sure where we will end up
Sounds like a bike ride.
But as mention fuel could go up to $5 a gallon witch will make everything go
Up also I would think anything that you own now will all so go up in value
So you could buy a new bike now, ride it for a few years and sell it for what you
Pick it for. If HD goes out, what will that do to your bike will it go up in value
Or just go away, I'm think it will go up in value there should be enough bikes in the market
That the after market will pick up the parts replacement

As logical and wise as it sounds, the American public will NEVER embrace economical transportation, if there is any alternative. I managed a Yamaha/BMW shop during the first oil crisis in the 70's (when it shot up to $.45 a gallon). We sold motorcycles to commuters as fast as we could put them together. As soon as the supply relaxed, sales fell and no one was riding to work. Two years ago when gas was near $5 a gallon, everyone was selling the big suv's and pickups for little cars. Now see what is going off the dealer lots again. SUV's and pickups. WE are getting better, but we love our big status vehicles. I can't point fingers, I have a pickup and a SUV (mid size). :34:

But I think HD will cut production, and inflation will take over

Gas price will go up and stay up this next time, companies are going to have make more profit on the few things they do sale, unemployment will get way out of hand. Look at other countries they are already fighting in the streets. People that use to buy our stuff
are out of a job. There will always be a percentage of people with money
That will keep thing go, but there will be a lot more people that have to do with the sample things in life No more HD just for the weekend Ride :34:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think any used H.D. will be worth more than any other bike down the road.
For one thing it very hard to get parts for most of the older bike, other than a H.D.
Most of the old jap bike that are older than 20 years you can not get parts for!

As Smitty says, when all said and done an HD is a personal investment, having very little to do with money...and in many ways just the opposite. Like I have said in the past...vehicle sales are more of an emotional thing, based on need, opportunity, finances and timing...most of us buy on the emotions, the other things are bundled under the "cost of ownership"....how do you measure smiles per mile or a successful investment anyway?

This has been a great thread to read thru. For me, I never bought into a Harley and refused to until the days of wait and over paying were over. Paying MSRP is one thing, but unless it was a truly rare motorcycle, I would never pay more than MSRP, hence the reason I always rode BMW or import motorcycles. The economy has made the HD dealership a much nicer place to visit since they have come back to earth and realism.

Was it worth the wait for me, hell yes. Now I might actually pay more than MSR if I had to since I like the bike so much. :)

Back