free website stats program Into/out of fourth just feels different | Harley Davidson Forums

Into/out of fourth just feels different

mnultra

I was out riding this last weekend and it seemed to me that the transmission just seemed to engage a little more harsh going into fourth from third and from fifth to fourth. All other shift points seem the same. There doesn't seem to be any difference in the way the bike acts but just a different feel shifting to fourth. No driveablility issues at all. Spectro 6 speed in the transmission and HD F+ in the primary. Both changed about 2200 miles ago. I opened up the primary and the oil stills looks good under the light (nothing shiny) and from what I could see through the transmission fill hole, the same can be said for the tranny oil.

Any thoughts? The bike has about 7,000 miles now.

How is the clutch adjustment??? Are pivot points on shifter linkage secure and lubed???

How is the clutch adjustment??? Are pivot points on shifter linkage secure and lubed???

Clutch seems to be in adjustment. I didn't adjust it again last night but it feels okay. The shifter linkage is lubed and torqued.

Just wondered WHERE is the engagement on the clutch handle when you First Feel the clutch start to grab???

If it is real Close to the grip, and you have a 1/8 inch Gap or Larger, The cable adjustment needs to tighten up for a little More clutch separation,

I would Check the clutch adjustment and Keep it at No More than a HALF turn out from finger tight (touch of the clutch plate)... This along with 1/16" at cable-handle will allow a better separation of the clutch discs....

Above is Just to be sure it is adjusted properly..

signed....BUBBIE

I'll adjust the clutch again tonight and see if the problem persists.

My mind always goes right to the bad stuff first. Must be to much reading!!

Thanks for your help guys.

I can't say for sure, but what you are describing here sounds an awful lot like Stage I Harley Paranoia. It is fairly common amongst riders with new bikes and not a lot of miles. One day it sounds pretty loud, the next day it sounds too quiet. One day you think you feel a little vibration and the next day is seems to be a little more...or less. Just remember these motors were designed back in the days when Shep was a pup. They vibrate, shake, rattle and roll. Always have, always will or until they adopt a modern day crankshaft configuration.
OK, I got nothin here. Disregard what I said.

I can't say for sure, but what you are describing here sounds an awful lot like Stage I Harley Paranoia. It is fairly common amongst riders with new bikes and not a lot of miles. One day it sounds pretty loud, the next day it sounds too quiet. One day you think you feel a little vibration and the next day is seems to be a little more...or less. Just remember these motors were designed back in the days when Shep was a pup. They vibrate, shake, rattle and roll. Always have, always will or until they adopt a modern day crankshaft configuration.
OK, I got nothin here. Disregard what I said.

Hahah Retrop . But you know you are right? When a friend who hasn't had a Harley before buys one I always tell them " If you don't like how your bikes running? Put it in garage. Wait till tomorrow. Will run different. And it's true. One day they purr , next day they grumble. " Its the HD way? :newsmile100:

I can't say for sure, but what you are describing here sounds an awful lot like Stage I Harley Paranoia.

Don't think so.

Adjusted my clutch and cable last night and took her for a spin. All is good. Every shift is nice and crisp with less clunk.

Thanks BUBBIE :cheers

My last '96 metric cruiser also had a known issue of some tranny chatter when shifting up or down into 4th gear. I've also noticed some of this on my HD bike, more noticeable when I get lazy with my shifting process. The trick which is what all the old timers on the metric forum recommended, and did, was preload on the shift lever just prior to shifting. Worked on the old bike and works on this bike and gives a cleaner shift with less gear chatter when shifting gears.

Back