free website stats program Intimidated by Customization | Harley Davidson Forums

Intimidated by Customization

Jcannon

Hey fella's I'm looking to do a few little things to my sporty but im not 100% sure on where to start.. I am on a budget so it will be little subtle things for now, Minus the bars and seat that are on the way in. But i was thinking about taking off the sissy bar and maybe moving the license plate on the side, but then what to do with all the holes? Then i thought about a different style taillight like a duece style "flush with fender". I guess i just dont know options and what works and what doesnt there is so much stuff out there im overwhelmed. Can anyone point me in the right direction ?

If you are competent with tools, you will do fine with customization (except for engine work). Start with the HD "wish book" of accessories, and then order in a J&P cycle book (FREE from their website) and there are MANY other companies as well. The options are as varied in size and cost as there are bikes on the street.

Be careful though it's like a drug, once you start you can't stop. It's a disease :D

Amen, I got my bike a little less than a month ago and I'm constantly seeing things I want. Since I bought my bike I've bought and installed the Harley Security System with Smart Siren, Harley Live to Ride hand grips, new solo seat, highway pegs, taillight visor, lay down license plate bracket, side cover wing tips, Cycle Shack slip-ons, re-jetted the carb and put on a K&N filter. I'm looking for pegs and the Harley Live to Ride collection stuff to go with my Live to Ride hand grips. All this for a bike that was bone stock when I bought it :32:

Jcannon:

I know it is overwhelming to see the huge number of H-D accessories sold by Harley, Custom Chrome, Drag Specialties, etc.

I know, back in 1997 when I bought my first Harley, I went thru the same thing you are going thru.

Having made a few mistakes, some expensive and some not so expensive, I offer the following advice:

TAKE YOUR TIME!

Get the accessory catalogs. Go to some bike meets and cruise nights. Talk to other riders and check out the bikes that are similar to yours. See what others have done. Then decide what you want.

Another piece of advice: If you have limited funds, concentrate on one area of the bike at a time. Build YOUR bike over a period of time - it took me three years and $10,000 to finish my '97 Heritage. I broke my purchases into different parts of the bike as follows:

1. Front end, fender, lights, handlebars, grips, switches and mirrors
2. Seat, gas tank and console
3. Engine mods (cams, ignition, coil, carb, air cleaner and exhaust)
4. Engine area chrome accessories
5. Wheels and tires
6. Rear of bike - swingarm, shocks, rear fender, taillight, license plate mount
7. Custom paint

Yes, there were times I modified different areas at the same time, but I held off big expenditures for one part of the bike while I was trying to complete another part.

Try to be as sure as possible what you want before you buy it. You do not want to spend money changing out parts you already bought.

Hey fella's I'm looking to do a few little things to my sporty but im not 100% sure on where to start.. I am on a budget so it will be little subtle things for now, Minus the bars and seat that are on the way in. But i was thinking about taking off the sissy bar and maybe moving the license plate on the side, but then what to do with all the holes? Then i thought about a different style taillight like a duece style "flush with fender". I guess i just dont know options and what works and what doesnt there is so much stuff out there im overwhelmed. Can anyone point me in the right direction ?

Amen, I got my bike a little less than a month ago and I'm constantly seeing things I want. Since I bought my bike I've bought and installed the Harley Security System with Smart Siren, Harley Live to Ride hand grips, new solo seat, highway pegs, taillight visor, lay down license plate bracket, side cover wing tips, Cycle Shack slip-ons, re-jetted the carb and put on a K&N filter. I'm looking for pegs and the Harley Live to Ride collection stuff to go with my Live to Ride hand grips. All this for a bike that was bone stock when I bought it :32:

I have been thinking of adding the Harley Alarm Smart Siren, was it difficult and what was the approx. cost...I saw a V-Rod one and it was $250 on the discount shelf! :small3d028: It had better work at that price, so I was hesitant to even consider it, if it was difficult to install as well. I see a plug-in for it in the service manual...is it just that easy...? :33:

BEFORE you start anything, spend some time looking at bikes around you, on the internet, magazines what have you. You need to have a vision first. Don't just slap whatever everybody else says to do. You'll end up with a hodge podge of parts that may not work well or look good together. I suggest you start collecting pics of bikes that speak to you and figure out why you like that bike. Then form in your head what your ideal bike would look like. This way will save you lots of $$$ and downtime so you can ride and show it off when it's done! Good luck.

Joyride advice makes sense as you can tell by checking his bike on the sportster pics.
Take your time.

Back