free website stats program intermittent starting problem | Harley Davidson Forums

intermittent starting problem

laredom

hello every one, sometimes when ever the bike (2002 ultra classic) sits for a few days or so I go to use the start button on the bike and it will just "click" one time (not like when you have a dead or weak battery and it "clicks" a whole bunch of times) and if I push and release the start button a couple of times it will start. I took apart the terminals on the starter and battery and cleaned them with a wire brush, and I do not think the problem is at, because the problem came back. any other ideas?

Along with the battery you probably need to take a look at the start switch. While you have the battery disconnected take the switch housing apart and make sure there isn't any corrosion. While you're at it take a look at the starter relay and it's socket to make sure it is clean also. I always like to put a dab of dielectric grease on the terminals and a little dab in the starter switch won't hurt either. Let us know how things go.

The problem is possibly in the contacts inside the starter solinoid.
There are 2 horse shoe type contacts that ride on a disc. These 3 wear down and no longer make a good connection, you can remove the 3 screws that retain the cover, but may need to remove the starter to replace the. Most places that rebuild starters have the parts
WAP.gif

sorry it took so long to respond to the possible problems, but have not had time to mess with the bike to try all the remedies suggested, but I will and will let all of you know what the findings are hopefully be done by spring.

hello every one, sometimes when ever the bike (2002 ultra classic) sits for a few days or so I go to use the start button on the bike and it will just "click" one time (not like when you have a dead or weak battery and it "clicks" a whole bunch of times) and if I push and release the start button a couple of times it will start. I took apart the terminals on the starter and battery and cleaned them with a wire brush, and I do not think the problem is at, because the problem came back. any other ideas?
Well it me laredom sorry it took so long 2 post the problem I had with my 02 ultra back in November of 2015, But what it turned out 2 B was a bad starter relay ( a H.D. mechanic told me if it is a HARD click it could be the solenoid and if it was a SOFT (light ) click it could be the starter relay), so got home I found I had a spare relay installed it in about 30 seconds and have not had a problem since riding season started (around end of April) I did all the remedies that were mentioned, & that I could the were free and easy anyways. Thanks

Thanks for getting back to the forum with the solution. Glad you're back up and riding.

Back