free website stats program Intermittent sputtering problem | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Intermittent sputtering problem

My dad had a similar problem with his 02 Road King. I was thinking maybe it was the same issue until you said your bike is carborated. I could be wrong but seems like changing the pressure on your pipes by taking out the baffles is going to change your air mixture. then your mechanic adjusted something in the carb. Could be whatever he was playin with came loose and once your bike acts up and then sits for a second, it has a chance to even itself out.

My dad's problem turned out to be his Power Commander. I would imagine you don't have one of those in your bike if its not fuel injected.

He did mess with the fuel/air mixture inside the carb. The bike is 9 years old, I don't think the carb has ever been rebuilt (new gaskets, etc). Although, the petcock on the bike hasn't been the same either. There is usually fresh oil/gas residue on the bottom side of it and around the face of it. I've cleaned it off before and it has come back. Hard problems are so much easier to figure out!!

Back