Interesting article on Exhaust

Discussion in 'Exhaust Sound Bites' started by Dark Ker, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Dark Ker

Dark Ker Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2011
  2. wilks3

wilks3 Junior Member

Its all about the total package of any engine in question. We used to bolt on headers, didn't know what size we needed, they sounded good, so must be right. Carb of choice back in the day Holley 750 double pump. Heads? What ever was there, the bigger cam will fix that. Ignition? Accell points & coil baby... that's all you need, don't worry about setting timing, advance until it pops back and back it off. You had yourself a "race" engine. My how wrong we were!!!
    wilks3

3. kemo

kemo R.I.P

Wilkes those were the days when you could have fun with your engine. Need more power, play with the timing and put on a 4 barrel and duel exhaust, need still more power throw in a lumpy cam. Now adays you put in a little tuner chip that will give you 300 hp from your 140 cubic inch motor
    Ken

4. wilks3

wilks3 Junior Member

I hate those little chips.
    But they work...
    wilks3
    :USA

5. murf

murf Active Member

Hey Wilks, that's where the learning curve began...back in the day. Without all the early experimenting we wouldn't be where we are today.

6. tlyoungb

tlyoungb Junior Member

Yea, Those were the day's when it was not that big of a problem to remove the engine and look at it. None of this emission stuff, and while you had it out, you can look at other items and stuff.

Now you need to be a rocket engineer to take the engine out, and put it back together.

Oh how I long for the simple times.

7. cromedome

cromedome Active Member

They took all of the fun out of it...Thanks EPA..