free website stats program Interested in 2004 FXDL for sale | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Interested in 2004 FXDL for sale

Just to be sure do you mean just shoes replaced with Cyco shoes for example or a hydraulic upgrade? Also
Either way they decide, both are better than what's in there now. Replaced my riding buddys' at 23,400 on his 05 Road King, and the valve seals were fixed at the same time due to leaking. If you take it apart yourself, if you don't have the right tools, you're almost (EDIT).
By the way, most time it's the inner cam tensioner shoe that begins first, (my experience), so, just taking stuff apart and "looking" at them isn't your best bet.
If they agree to do the upgrade on their dime, I'm sure it'll end up being the Cyco shoes vs: the hydraulic and new oil pump.
If you DO buy it regardless, be sure to run your old oil when you change it and keep an eye open for yellowish/orange pieces, that'll be your shoes. Strain the old oil through some cheese-cloth placed in a new conical paint filter.
If left unattended, "cha-ching"......

Last edited by a moderator:
Either way they decide, both are better than what's in there now. Replaced my riding buddys' at 23,400 on his 05 Road King, and the valve seals were fixed at the same time due to leaking. If you take it apart yourself, if you don't have the right tools, you're almost (EDIT).
By the way, most time it's the inner cam tensioner shoe that begins first, (my experience), so, just taking stuff apart and "looking" at them isn't your best bet.
If they agree to do the upgrade on their dime, I'm sure it'll end up being the Cyco shoes vs: the hydraulic and new oil pump.
If you DO buy it regardless, be sure to run your old oil when you change it and keep an eye open for yellowish/orange pieces, that'll be your shoes. Strain the old oil through some cheese-cloth placed in a new conical paint filter.
If left unattended, "cha-ching"......
Other than the cam tensioner shoes issue is there any other problems with the '04 Low Rider? You mentioned a 5 year warranty. That could be $800? Thank you.

Other than the cam tensioner shoes issue is there any other problems with the '04 Low Rider? You mentioned a 5 year warranty. That could be $800? Thank you.
I've seen two cases when the cam-tensioners went bad that also required new valve seals. Not positive that the seal failures were any way connected to the tensioner issues though. At any rate, R&R valve seals are a lot less costly to take care of vs: the cam-tensioner fix. On the warranty, I cant offer any explanation as to how they charge or pro-rate them. Probably a little difference in pricing from one dealer to the next.

'05 was a bad year for valve guide seals. Many were replaced under warranty and the seal was changed. I doubt the dealer will replace the tensioner shoes with CYCO shoes; they will stick with HD parts, so the problem remains. If you make a deal on the bike, get the service manual, open the cam chest and take a look at the tensioners. If they are pitted, cracked or show abnormal wear, replace them with CYCO shoes. If they are not pitted, cracks or show abnormal wear, you can put off the CYCO replacement for a while. An independent shop will probably charge about 4 hours labor to R/R the tensioner shoes, plus parts. Or you can roll up your sleeves and get some "bonding" time with you new ride. I would have the inner cam bearings replace with the full compliment B148 bearing while the cam chest is open.

You really don't need and "special" tools to do the job; there are "work arounds". You will need to remove the rocker covers, loosen the rocker arm support plate and R/R the pushrods from the top. If you plan to take on the project, there is plenty of help on this forum from guys that have done this many times; myself included.;)

When you do the tensioner shoes there is a tool that allows you to do the rear without removing the cams from the cam plate. Saves a lot of extra work. If you want to spring for the money adjustable push rods are available so you would not have to remove the rockers just cut the old push rods with a large pair of bolt cutters.

'05 was a bad year for valve guide seals. Many were replaced under warranty and the seal was changed. I doubt the dealer will replace the tensioner shoes with CYCO shoes; they will stick with HD parts, so the problem remains. If you make a deal on the bike, get the service manual, open the cam chest and take a look at the tensioners. If they are pitted, cracked or show abnormal wear, replace them with CYCO shoes. If they are not pitted, cracks or show abnormal wear, you can put off the CYCO replacement for a while. An independent shop will probably charge about 4 hours labor to R/R the tensioner shoes, plus parts. Or you can roll up your sleeves and get some "bonding" time with you new ride. I would have the inner cam bearings replace with the full compliment B148 bearing while the cam chest is open.

You really don't need and "special" tools to do the job; there are "work arounds". You will need to remove the rocker covers, loosen the rocker arm support plate and R/R the pushrods from the top. If you plan to take on the project, there is plenty of help on this forum from guys that have done this many times; myself included.;)
If I decide to go for a newer Superglide, are the

I read recently that the Twin Cam 96 engine uses hydraulic cam chain followers, and the author said failures haven't been seen by them. Maybe I should look at a newer FXD? Thanks.

From what I understand the hyd. tensioners are a little better but still wear out just not as fast, which means you still have to check them. Replacing the newer ones is a little easier. I have 27,000 miles on my 2005 and when I checked them at 25000 they are still okay but plane to replace them with the CYCO soon for a little more piece of mind

I read recently that the Twin Cam 96 engine uses hydraulic cam chain followers, and the author said failures haven't been seen by them. Maybe I should look at a newer FXD? Thanks.

Your call but after '07 the tensioners were changed to hydraulic and chains to roller. Certainly an improvement but still a maintenance item that should be checked. The new tensioner are subject to wear but not catastrophic failure which was the problem with the early tensioners. You can replace the early tensioners with a set of CYCO tensioners as has been mentioned; they will last much longer and failure is rare.

The only way to eliminate tensioners as a maintenance item is with gear driven cams.;)

Your call but after '07 the tensioners were changed to hydraulic and chains to roller. Certainly an improvement but still a maintenance item that should be checked. The new tensioner are subject to wear but not catastrophic failure which was the problem with the early tensioners. You can replace the early tensioners with a set of CYCO tensioners as has been mentioned; they will last much longer and failure is rare.

The only way to eliminate tensioners as a maintenance item is with gear driven cams.;)

Is it worth spending the money on an 04 for gear driven cams? The bike has 20,000 miles. Thank you.

That's hard to say. I love my Dyna but changing the shoes is no big deal so I opted for doing that. It really is not hard and I do it in a couple of hours, so no problem

Back