free website stats program Intake problem - need suggestions | Harley Davidson Forums

Intake problem - need suggestions

adamk

I just bought a used XLH 883.

It came with a custom intake; I'm not sure, but I think it might be the Arlen Ness Big Sucker.

The bike is jetted, and runs fantastic. The problem is that maybe I was a bit taller than the previous owner (5'8"), because I keep _bashing my shin_ against the intake.

Any suggestions for what I should do?

I'm considering moving to a Screamin' Eagle Heavy Breather, or a cheaper, but similar, intake. But, I'd love more ideas.

-Adam

Photos:

intake1.jpg

intake2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That filter element looks as if it could be the Zippers upgraded filter which is 5/8" taller than the standard stage 1 filter. The standard is a bit over 2" tall and the zippers is 2 5/8' tall. You could measure it and see which one you have and gain 5/8" by going to the HD 0800 K&N element if you have the taller one on there now.

The zippers filter is on the right.

KNTall.jpg

KN Filter Upgrade - Harley Davidson Community

I wasn't sure where to measure. But, I think you're right.

Moving from the 2 5/8" filter to the 2" filter certainly would be the cheapest and easiest fix for my problem.

But, and excuse my ignorance, how much perfomance would I lose by switching to the smaller intake filter?

And also, would have have to adjust the carb after I made this change?

The shorter K&N (HD 0800) that can be purchased or ordered from Autozone for about $42 will flow more than enough air for your motor with no re jetting needed at all if it's the taller filter on there now.
We're not talking the K&N replacement for the stock housing here.

Measure overall height from the base to the top of the filter at the metal ends of the filter.

CFM ratings of Air Filters - Harley Davidson Community

I went the opposite way you are going on a previous bike and that 5/8" extra from the Zipper filter was enough to hit me in the knee too. I ended up with a set of extensions for the forward pegs which did the trick.

Deuce2.jpg

Deuce4-1.jpg

K&N's website tells me that the smaller filter is actually 2 1/8". I'm 95% sure that I already have the smaller filter on there.

I might consider just upgrading to a corbin seat. It's about the same price as a new intake, and if it moves me back 1/2 inch, I think I'll be fine.

Last edited:
Sure is Joy. I had my eye on that bike for a while and just couldn't resist it any longer. It had quite an engine in it too.:D

It was actually calling my name as I walked by it.

We don't pick the bikes, they pick us. :D I was sitting on a blue bike, all happy & such, but the orange & creme kept saying 'look at me, look at me'.:bigsmiley23:

Back