free website stats program intake manifold removal | Harley Davidson Forums

intake manifold removal

Hi guys, I have a harley road king 1550 fuel injected v twin .Heres my problem. I left on a road trip that was to go 1000 miles out. Before leaving and begining trip bike checked out fine. Half way out after a fuel stop 4 miles down the road my bike started to loose power and wouldnt throttle up . After a rolling restart it kept struggeling then just shut down. It cranked but just wouldnt fire up. long story short i took it to a harley dealership and after 2 hours of diagnostic they came back with the computer was fried(read no codes or signals from it),and coil was burned out. They replaced the computer and coil and ripped out the power commander that was in the bike when i bought it. gave me the bike back and i left to find out the idle was way low ans stalled every time i released the throttle. Took it back for them to tell me the o rings in the intake is causing the problem (why didnt they catch that in diagnostic test) or after the test ride.
Anyway it was together enough to ride it home. Gas mileage was about 145miles a tank full and running lean and hot. So heres the issue, i want to do the o rings myself but dont have a manual . can anybody explain the proceedure to remove the intake and do the job right . I got the tools and know how just need the proceedure so i can save some money here. I already know how to tear down the air breather and all just need to know the removal part of the job. Does it just pull out or is there more to it than that. thanks.

If whoever added the powercommander was addding fuel with the power commander and the dealer pulled it off, that alone would cause a lean condition. Not saying the intake seals don't need replaced, but it is possible they are fine and the problem stems from pulling the PC off.
You might try a second opinion.
In the self help section I believe you can find how to check for intake seal leaks.
Good luck.

Did you get your old parts back? I am not expert enough to say that the computer, coil or Powercommander were bad, but if it were me I would want a second opinion. As to running hot as stated before this could be a lean condition caused by returning your bike to factory specs. What type of gas milage were you getting before the trouble?

First answer, I did a check of the intake seals by spraying carb cleaner and wd 40 on two different attempts to see any changes to the revs happened around the intake seals .... no changes detected. As stated PC did add more fuel but does the computer compensate for its removal? or do i need to get the replaced computer re programed? Current condition - runs lean and hot, idle low almost to stall out. Compensated the idle by turning up idle stop screw just enough to prevent stall at stops. I am going to get it looked at again just trying not to spend a mint chasing the problem. any other helps welcomed ...thanks

Get ALL Parts back #1 in my book...

Have some other shop ck them for good or bad.. or maybe Hoople ?

It sound FISHY to me..

Did you ASK for the removal of the fueler?
Did you get it back?

I agree that the bike running LEAN is just TOO LEAN and the fueler you had on before ::: DID it work and run okay before?
If so I would put the fueler Back On and go from there..
I would NOT leave it to HD to get the mixture up to where the fueler did.......

Makes me wonder IF the fuel you bought was BAD?

And the resulting repair UN necessary

signed....BUBBIE

Get the HD Factory Service Manual covering your model and year.

Remove the tank if you are gonna replace the intake manifold gaskets/seals.

No, the ECM will NOT compensate for loss of the PC. But the Dealership should have installed the Stage I download if they removed the PC. This may still be lean. Consider the TFI. Very user-friendly, and easy to do especially if you have the tank off anyway.

TQ

I did get the old parts back but in a moment of haste left the bag on the service counter with the old parts in it (my bad). Went back for it the next day but naturally it was gone. The way dealer explained the cause and effect was the PC sent the computer signals to increase fuel flow but PC malfunctioned and fried the computer. Gas mileage before the event horizon was measured at 116 to 120 miles per tank after work was done mileage 145 to 150 with a 4 gallon tank ( these measurements were taken at the time of the trip) Leaving out on return leg i had 1000 miles to get a reading of consistant consumption but i feel it should be better than that . Thanks

Good points Bubbie. #1 Did you get the fueler back? #2 To save time and $$ drain tank and replace fuel. Since you did not see any difference when you sprayed around the intake seals does the intake manifold need to be removed? I think I would start with the gas and have the fueler reinstalled. Don't know what map was in the old computer ( if they did change it). Did you have the fueler installed or was it on the bike when you bought it?

No i did not tell them to remove the fueler they said it was bad. No didnt retrieve it as stated before due to haste . Bike ran fine before no lean condition and plenty of power . As far as fuel 10 others i was with gassed up at the same pump and had no ill effect plus gas was still in when on return leg of trip. Ran ok down the road.. o lil hot but ran strong

No i did not tell them to remove the fueler they said it was bad. No didnt retrieve it as stated before due to haste . Bike ran fine before no lean condition and plenty of power . As far as fuel 10 others i was with gassed up at the same pump and had no ill effect plus gas was still in when on return leg of trip. Ran ok down the road.. o lil hot but ran strong

Go back to the dealer and ask them about the bag being left there. If they have a video camera recording the inside , ask them to view the tape if possible. One question I would ask the tech who said your fueler was bad -- How do you know and what test was preformed to establish the findings.

Back