free website stats program intake leak | Harley Davidson Forums

intake leak

hargun2

help, sprayed some starting fluid from the left side of the engine where the intake module mounts to the cylinders and it killed the motor. I replaced the two seals and started it and it's better but it still is effecting the idle when I spray s tarting fluid in that area.....I was pretty careful installing the new seals, do you think maybe the injector seals might be my issue? The bike is a 2006 Electra Glide Clasic....ideas ????

Starting fluid because of it's flammability is a very poor choice to use to use to check for intake leaks, besides it can migrate to the intake real easy and stall the engine.

What is the engine doing otherwise?

Last edited:
thats what I used was carb cleaner, didn't think that would matter but when using carb cleaner the motor shuts down.........ideas

it runs strong, but I have noticed before I changed the seals the idle would fall off to about 600 rpm and I would have to give it allitle gas to bring it back up to 1000 rpm to stabilize but now it seems to be allot better but I can still kill the motor by spraying carb cleaner on the module to cylinder area..

Last edited by a moderator:
thats what I used was carb cleaner, didn't think that would matter but when using carb cleaner the motor shuts down.........ideas

it runs strong, but I have noticed before I changed the seals the idle would fall off to about 600 rpm and I would have to give it allitle gas to bring it back up to 1000 rpm to stabilize but now it seems to be allot better but I can still kill the motor by spraying carb cleaner on the module to cylinder area..

I don't understand the spray thing... Are You Continually holding Down on the fluid in the can to see?? What... Constant holding or spraying will GO AROUND and into a running engine..Killing or other..

If you suspect a leak Just a small amount should be sprayed and know where it is sprayed is the key (closest to the manifold gasket in question)...

If a Little spray is used, and the engine FLUTTERS that shows it is an intake leak.. Spraying a BIG Amount at one time,,, HAS to get into the engine from surrounding air that is sucked Into the motor... This will give you a false report.

signed....BUBBIE

Clean the IAC next, check the plug wires and finally check the screw on tips on the ends of the plugs where the wires attach, this is a long shot but can cause a poor idle

when I sprayed that area there was an immedate effect on the engine idle, have you ever heard of the injectors having sealing issues?

when I sprayed that area there was an immedate effect on the engine idle, have you ever heard of the injectors having sealing issues?

Any seal can fail at any time, I have not seen it on a bike yet, but cars and trucks will fail over time usually spewing fuel, Jeeps are notorious for this, grab the wires to the injectors and give them a tug does this change the idle, some wires are a bit tight and short and may mot make a good connection

Back