free website stats program Installing slip-ons: how hard is it? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Installing slip-ons: how hard is it?

Could also use heavy piece of card board and leather riding gloves:D

I've installed slip-ons on four different bikes and always reused the clamps. One thing I do that makes installation easier is to spray inside the inlet of the muffler with a little silicone spray. It makes the muffler slide on the headpipe much easier and it disappears after you get them hot for the first time. I would also re-tighten the clamps after you ride it a few times just to make sure that expansion and contraction hasn't loosened anything up. One thing to watch on a Sporty with aftermarket slip-ons is the mounting bolts. It's possible to snap the heads off the stock mounting bolts.

And don't forget to wipe the new mufflers clean before you get them hot so that you don't "stain" the chrome.

When I removed my slip on to service my tire it was Work to get it off. I wondered if a strap wrench could have been used to grip the pipe for easer twisting.

Try some Anti sieze when putting the new mufflers on:s

And I don't need to retune do I? That'd only be if I were replacing the entire exhaust right?

I ordered some new torca clamps and I have the s&s slip ons coming my way. I checked in the service manual but I don't see where it says what I should torque anything to.

Do you guys have any suggestions as to what penetrating oil to get?

Now all I need is my bike back and my bike will be roaring through the winter.

And I don't need to retune do I? That'd only be if I were replacing the entire exhaust right?

I ordered some new torca clamps and I have the s&s slip ons coming my way. I checked in the service manual but I don't see where it says what I should torque anything to.

Do you guys have any suggestions as to what penetrating oil to get?

Now all I need is my bike back and my bike will be roaring through the winter.

P B blaster works good, remember to wipe the new pipes down before you fire it up:s adding more fuel is up to you it should run fine until you do,

Last edited by a moderator:
hey guys, just got the mufflers. i got the rear with relative ease but the front is giving me trouble. Instructions say to undo the master cylinder mounting bolt. WHERE IS IT? I was able to remve the locknut without doing this, but it would make my job easier if I could get this.

Thanks

When removing the sportster front silencer i remove the split pin from the pin at the end of the brake pedal and pull the pin out allowing the brake pedal to separate from the brake rod and that will give enough clearance to get at the mount nut
Use a new split pin on reassembly

Brian

When removing the sportster front silencer i remove the split pin from the pin at the end of the brake pedal and pull the pin out allowing the brake pedal to separate from the brake rod and that will give enough clearance to get at the mount nut
Use a new split pin on reassembly

Brian
Haha I wish I had read this before. I got it done without this. I am going to ride a few miles and make sure things stay tight.

Thank you.

Probably too late, but you should've put a bead of high-temp (copper) silicone on the pipes before you installed. This ensures a good seal w/no leaks...hope the new pipes sound good - just put a new set of true duals on my Street Glide yesterday - man, what a rush!!!

Last edited:
Back