free website stats program Installing slip-ons: how hard is it? | Harley Davidson Forums

Installing slip-ons: how hard is it?

RideTheLightning

Do I need to do anything but take the old mufflers off and put new equipment on? Seems like I just need to take a couple of bolts out, take off the old mufflers and re-clamp the new mufflers on. Should I replace the torca clamps or can I use the same ones?

Anything else I need to do?

I would buy new clamps when changing on new slip-:)ons just to know for sure that they mate good. Other than that it's just pulling and twisting. Good Luck

Do I need to do anything but take the old mufflers off and put new equipment on? Seems like I just need to take a couple of bolts out, take off the old mufflers and re-clamp the new mufflers on. Should I replace the torca clamps or can I use the same ones?

Anything else I need to do?

HD recommends replacing the TORCA clamps. I try to reuse mine a couple of times depending on how new they are and what condition they are in, but I have backups in case I break one. But I ease up on the final torque I put on them. I try getting about half way in the torque spec for them and then check for a leak before hercin' up on them anymore.

Getting the cans off can be helped along by spraying some penetrating oil into the overlap between the cans and the pipes. Make sure you spray up all the fasteners you have to loosen/remove too.

Anyway, you definitely can do it. Just take your time and wiggle/rotate the cans until they come off.

TQ

Try some Anti sieze when putting the new mufflers on:s

And I don't need to retune do I? That'd only be if I were replacing the entire exhaust right?

I ordered some new torca clamps and I have the s&s slip ons coming my way. I checked in the service manual but I don't see where it says what I should torque anything to.

Do you guys have any suggestions as to what penetrating oil to get?

Now all I need is my bike back and my bike will be roaring through the winter. :D

And I don't need to retune do I? That'd only be if I were replacing the entire exhaust right?

I ordered some new torca clamps and I have the s&s slip ons coming my way. I checked in the service manual but I don't see where it says what I should torque anything to.

Do you guys have any suggestions as to what penetrating oil to get?

Now all I need is my bike back and my bike will be roaring through the winter. :D

I like P B blaster:p

I wonder if not having changed the clamps in my slip-ons change can be the cause of some of the popping I usually hear. Any thought?
WAP.gif

I wonder if not having changed the clamps in my slip-ons change can be the cause of some of the popping I usually hear. Any thought?
WAP.gif

Take a good glove like a welding glove and stop up each pipe one at a time and listen for a leak:s

Thanks for the help. I have read it before here but still looking for big, shielded gloves
WAP.gif

Some old shop rags or Momma's old towels will do. You are just trying not to burn yourself why you restrict the flow enough to hear if the gas is escaping from the clamp/head areas.

TQ

Back