free website stats program Installing Shovelhead in ST Frame | Harley Davidson Forums

Installing Shovelhead in ST Frame

shark59er

I want to put my 88" Shovel and 5 spd Little John trans in a Softail frame. I haven't purchased a frame yet so my question is, which year frame would be the easiest? Should I go with a 2000 up or 86-99? I'm thinking the early model frame would be easiest. Thanks,

Shark

Aren't the motor mounts diferent for 2000 and up? I would go with the 86-99 frame anyway, parts are plentiful and offered by a zillion manufactures in a bunch of styles. Not so much yet for the twin cam stuff

Aren't the motor mounts diferent for 2000 and up? I would go with the 86-99 frame anyway, parts are plentiful and offered by a zillion manufactures in a bunch of styles. Not so much yet for the twin cam stuff

Yep, I've got the early ST frame, motor will fit and you are right about the parts being plentiful. I was hoping to pick up a few tips from others who have done this. The motor is an 88" Elmer Trett Shovel when he lived in Oxford, Ohio. I have it in a 68 frame at present, Elmer went through the motor in Georgia, before he hit the wall in Indy. That's been at least 13 years ago and it hasn't been started since.

Shark

Last edited:
Back