free website stats program Installing Hand Grips | Harley Davidson Forums

Installing Hand Grips

MigAZ

Is there anything I need to know before I remove my Retro grips and replace them with Avons? I have a bike run this Friday and wondering if I should hold off until I get back.

Thanks,

Wait until you get back from your run, you could pinch a wire or have an intermittant ignition problem and get stuck somewhere. There isn't anything worse than being out with a bunch of your buddies and have your bike break down, it takes all the fun out of the run for everyone. If you do it when your just puttin around town or the neighborhood, your the only one who gets impacted.
We had a guy committ the "Cardnal Sin" on a Iron Butt Saddle Sore 1000 attempt. He had the oil changed in his front forks the day before we left. One on the fork plugs started leaking outside of Elko NV. He had to limp back to Reno and wait a day ta get his bike fixed, the rest of us made the ride.

Shame on me, I've always had to cut the left side off. Maybe I'm too impatient.

If you don't have a compressor, you can use a thin screwdriver to pry an end of a grip up and squirt rubbing alcohol in the gap. It weakens any adhesive, and lubricates the rubber. They usually slip right off. It evaporates and leaves no residue. I use it to slip new grips on, and don't (usually) have to use adhesive.

If you don't have a compressor, you can use a thin screwdriver to pry an end of a grip up and squirt rubbing alcohol in the gap. It weakens any adhesive, and lubricates the rubber. They usually slip right off. It evaporates and leaves no residue. I use it to slip new grips on, and don't (usually) have to use adhesive.
Thanks Breeze! I'll try that next time. I wasn't too worried about ruining the stock grips, but your suggestion will be handy if I ever decide to replace the current custom grips. I may also try compressed air as well.

Back