free website stats program Installing detachable HD saddle bags | Harley Davidson Forums

Installing detachable HD saddle bags

hdrocks

Harley offers two different type of detachable saddlebags for softails. I am thinking about installing the FatBoy one. The dealership is quoting me three hours labor to install it. It seem excessive but then I do not know what's involved. Anyone has one of these installed? Thanks in advance.

After reviewing the PDF on the saddlebag installation, I can see that 3 hours is probably right...all it takes is one fastener that is tough or requires heating to remove...or complications when relocating the turn signals...and while I prefer to DIY if the process is straight forward, just remember to begin the installation on Friday, so you will have Saturday and Sunday for those inevitable trips to the dealer to fix unplanned changes. As Chopper says, 3 hours in a properly set up shop is about right...DIYer, try 3 days of start and stop...with the risk of ride being down the entire time...that is the risk we all take when we choose to work on our own bikes...hmm, isn't there always a "catch"?

Last edited:
Thanks, guys. I like the guys at my harley dealership, but you just never know.
As far as DIY, I did install sissy bars and the backrest to my sportster before, but I think installing detachable saddlebags is a whole different beast. After reading the pdf Chopper gave, I would not know if I was reading the manual upside down. Though I wish I could save the 3-hr labor @$90/hr, I think I am just going to have the expert do it.
However, here is the real kicker, and I feel absolutely stupid. Initially I had them install the smaller Fatboy saddlebags with the aftermarket kit to make them detachable. Since the dealership does not have the bags in stock, I only saw them in the picture. When I saw them after installed, they just look weird to me, sticking out too much and too small for the bike. There was also a big gap between the bike and the bags because I planned on getting the detachable sissy bars later.
hdrocks-albums-2010+fat+boy+low+-+black+denim-picture4101-fb01.jpg

So, I decided to get the bigger, thus more expensive ones and now have to pay extra for the install! Once I have them installed, I will post the pictures with both bags. Mabye I am just crazy. Lesson learned. Make sure you are able to see and touch what you plan to buy (pictures not not enough) and don't rush into getting something. Research and time your time.

I want to get some bags for my softail, I definitley want to see what your new bags will look like. I have been looking online for some bags but the pics I see are always of the bag up close so you don't get to see the look of the bike with the bags. Goodluck

I want to get some bags for my softail, I definitley want to see what your new bags will look like. I have been looking online for some bags but the pics I see are always of the bag up close so you don't get to see the look of the bike with the bags. Goodluck

I was not thinking when I got my first set of bags. I just liked the look of the bags from the catalog and did not think about how they'd look on the bike, as you wisely are doing.
Another place worthwhile looking is youtube. I just happen to run across a guy showing off his new Fat Boy with the larger bags, and they looked much better fitting than mine were :(
I will keep you posted.

I cannot remember which bag maker, but one of them makes a "molded" back so the bags fit closer in to the shocks...but sacrifices a bit of internal storage space. Try, Leatherworks, Boss Bags, Leatherneck Jims, etc...do check the links in the Self Help Tips section or Search tab using key words.

I am so glad I made the change. The new detachable saddlebags for 2010 Fat Boy Low fits very well, though it is a lot of money, IMM. They just look great, I think, with the bike and are very easy to take off and put them back on.

Before,
hdrocks-albums-2010+fat+boy+low+-+black+denim-picture4103-fb03.jpg

After,
hdrocks-albums-2010+fat+boy+low+-+black+denim+-+take+two-picture4275-003.jpg

When they are off, I put the black docking point covers on.
hdrocks-albums-2010+fat+boy+low+-+black+denim+-+take+two-picture4279-007.jpg

Quick detachable type is the way to go if you like the no bag look and prefer to put the bags on ONLY if you know you will need 'em. I went with the throwover bags only because I was going to leave the bags on most of the time...

Quick detachable type is the way to go if you like the no bag look and prefer to put the bags on ONLY if you know you will need 'em. I went with the throwover bags only because I was going to leave the bags on most of the time...

Exactly. I do prefer the look with no bags. They are very easy to take off/on. Only thing is I need to find a place in my garage to store the bags. I think I saw a picture here...how to properly store them on the wall when not in use.

Back