free website stats program Installing Apes with Throttle by Wire Issue | Harley Davidson Forums

Installing Apes with Throttle by Wire Issue

09GLDR

I have done about 10 or so ape hanger installs on various bikes but this one really got my blood boiling and in the end I wanted to meet and not greet Harley's engineers...I just finished installing a set of 13" Cycle Smiths on a 09' FLHX and the issue was routing the throttle by wire cables along with the switch housing wires through the bars. The green connector plug on the throttle wires made it very difficult to do so. After an hour or so of tugging and pulling on these wires, a few not so choice words and thoughts of closing my shop down, I finally get them both through with just about 3" to go on the throttle wires. So I grab a hold of it for one last tug and right smack down on my rear end I went with the bottom end of the throttle wires still in my hand, and even worst, they came out of the green connector, :bigsmiley19:, (choice words) So I pulled the top end out and the wires came out of the plug on the throttle side also, :wall,(more choice words) now I have this little green plug stuck inside the bars, wedging the other wire harness in the bars. So I commence more tugging and pulling to get everything out and start over. Second Day, I got all the wires out and had to blow the green plug out with forced air and looked at the damage on the throttle harness which is now in 3 pieces, since they (Harley) say you cannot solder the throttle harness, I ran to the shop for another harness, part # 32310-08 ($89.99) exact replacement and to my surprise, this one has no little green connector plug in the middle and the wires are longer?!?! Don't really understand why Harley put the connector plug in the factory one and not in the replacement harness but I'm here to tell you that if you are thinking of doing this to your ride, spend the $90 and save yourself the aggravation,not having the connector plug on the harness the routing went smooth (except the lost wrenches and neighbors are moving) and everything worked out. Sorry about the lenghtly thread just thought I would pass this along. And if any of you have any other tips on this, please share!

What size bars did you use? I did not have any trouble. I used Dawn dish soap to lubricate it, and it slipped right in. My bars are 1 1/4"

when i fed mine though my hertiage bars it was a pain to feed it though i feel for ya added about hour to the job

When I put my pullback bars on I used cornstarch to slick up the harnesses before I started yankin'. It worked pretty good.

UPDATE....Just for kicks, I soldered the fly by wire harness, that I broke without the green connector plug, back together and tried it out on my Glide. And wouldn't ya know it, it worked just fine. go figure! And oldgeezer, they were 1 1/4 inch bars. :small3d015:

Back