free website stats program Installed the Gen3 This Evening | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Installed the Gen3 This Evening

I better do some research. can you post a picture where you installed yours?

dbradfield,

Please be patient. I'll get a photo posted but it will take a few days before I can take some pictures.

Here's where I mounted it: I covered (wrapped) the Gen3 in small bubble wrap and slipped it in front of the battery under the negative battery cable where it is attached to the frame just below the fuel tank's rear mounting bolt. The Gen3 isn't really physically attached to anything. The bubble wrap keeps it securely in place and the bubble wrap protects it as well. Just what bubble wrap is designed to do. LOL!

A followup to mounting the Gen 3 on top of the battery - I mouned mine there but it was off to the side. The Mustang seat has a metal frame on the bottom - the stock seat does not. It also has the rubber bumper that sits on top of the battery, plus other bumpers that sit on the frame. There should be enough space between the seat and controller that they will not come in contact. I'm not sure if that is the case with a stock seat.

dbradfield,

Please be patient. I'll get a photo posted but it will take a few days before I can take some pictures.

Here's where I mounted it: I covered (wrapped) the Gen3 in small bubble wrap and slipped it in front of the battery under the negative battery cable where it is attached to the frame just below the fuel tank's rear mounting bolt. The Gen3 isn't really physically attached to anything. The bubble wrap keeps it securely in place and the bubble wrap protects it as well. Just what bubble wrap is designed to do. LOL!

You are right, there is a bumber under my seat and it was contacting the unit. It did not harm it the best I can tell I have moved it to the top of the fuse box cover with some velcro. Just need to be careful putting the seat back on not to get the wiring to the unit in between the bumper and top of the battery. I might try what you done if this is not good. Will be looking for a picture of yours. Thanks Don

Attachments

• tfi.jpg
    tfi.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 34
Remember when you sit on the seat it compresses the bumpers. I would check with a piece of clay on top of the TFI and see if it gets squashed.

You are right, there is a bumber under my seat and it was contacting the unit. It did not harm it the best I can tell I have moved it to the top of the fuse box cover with some velcro. Just need to be careful putting the seat back on not to get the wiring to the unit in between the bumper and top of the battery. I might try what you done if this is not good. Will be looking for a picture of yours. Thanks Don

I didn't have enough space where you relocated your Gen3 (on top of the fuse box) since I have the tail light/brake light/turn signal adapter squeezed between the fuse box and the ECM. It is a large piece of electronics with lots of wires coming out and I don't know how much room there is between the stock seat and everything underneath it. I'd rather be safe than sorry and find another mounting place. As I mentioned in a previous post that I am having wiring issues since I install the Gen3. The issue is the brake light & flasher/turn signal/tail light adapter is not working properly. Occasionally the right turn signal stays bright as if the brakes are applied but they aren't. Making me crazy.

I will try to get some pictures showing everything under my seat in a day or two; too busy at work to get into garage. Wednesday evening should be a good time for me.

Ugh!

...I still have not found a mounting place since I did mention there is no place under the seat and I still have that problem. Tomorrow I will get a fresh start and continue. :(

I had similar frustrations making the connections to the injectors, glad you got that sorted out!

Regarding Your mounting question, may I suggest this:

At the very least, it could be temporary until you find a better location.
This location lets me putter with the settings quickly and easily. I haven't made many changes yet, the weather is only now just cooperating.

Tank Pouches are available online and from H-D. I got mine here:
Just Leather, San Jose, CA.

I cut a small slit in the back, just large enough to let the wiring pass though and attached the pouch to the bike.

I had similar frustrations making the connections to the injectors, glad you got that sorted out!

Regarding Your mounting question, may I suggest this:

At the very least, it could be temporary until you find a better location.
This location lets me putter with the settings quickly and easily. I haven't made many changes yet, the weather is only now just cooperating.

Tank Pouches are available online and from H-D. I got mine here:
Just Leather, San Jose, CA.

I cut a small slit in the back, just large enough to let the wiring pass though and attached the pouch to the bike.

FerrousBueller,

Let me update you;

My Gen3 is mounted as explained in posting #13 above.

I didn't have enough space where you relocated your Gen3 (on top of the fuse box) since I have the tail light/brake light/turn signal adapter squeezed between the fuse box and the ECM. It is a large piece of electronics with lots of wires coming out and I don't know how much room there is between the stock seat and everything underneath it. I'd rather be safe than sorry and find another mounting place. As I mentioned in a previous post that I am having wiring issues since I install the Gen3. The issue is the brake light & flasher/turn signal/tail light adapter is not working properly. Occasionally the right turn signal stays bright as if the brakes are applied but they aren't. Making me crazy.

I will try to get some pictures showing everything under my seat in a day or two; too busy at work to get into garage. Wednesday evening should be a good time for me.

Here is a picture of the Gen3 EJK and the turn signal/braker light flasher/running light module locations. You can see the bubble wrap loosely surrounding the Gen3 EJK.

Here's a closer look at the Gen3 location.

Attachments

• EJK_location.jpg
    EJK_location.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 42
  • EJK_location2.jpg
    EJK_location2.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 39
Last edited by a moderator:
Remember when you sit on the seat it compresses the bumpers. I would check with a piece of clay on top of the TFI and see if it gets squashed.

I don't have any clay or anything else that will smash down easy - so I took a tiedown strap and put it across the Gen3, installed the seat and sat on it. There was no binding - tired it in several locations. I still want to get some clay, maybe some playdough, too see how much space there is - but for now I'm confident its not contacting the seat.

Back