free website stats program Installed detachable tour pak kit today | Harley Davidson Forums

Installed detachable tour pak kit today

Nails

Installed the QD kit on my '11 FLTRU today, pretty simply to put on but I do have a couple of observations. Purchased HD part #53246-09A and HD part #69200181.

1) I went with the J&M antenna for the CB and radio in the fairing and removed the mast on the tour pak. That left me with two studs on the trunk I need to figure out how to cover.
2)Ordered the HD quick release (HD part #69200181) wire harness/antenna relocation recommended for the tour pak QD kit (HD part #53246-09A) on the ultra models. This was mostly the parts to move the antenna down on the fender and back to the tour pak...I really only needed the harness for the lights out of the kit but you can't get it separately. I have an 12V accessory port in my tour pak but there isn't anything in the kit for me to make it quickly detachable.

I'm going splice/extend the wiring inside the tour pak for both the lights and 12V accessory port, have both exit the tour pak and plug into the main harness under the seat.

IMO if you are going to move the antenna inside the fairing there really isn't a need to purchase HD part #69200181. If someone would like the antenna relocation stuff out of the kit let me know and you could have it for cheap.

I am looking into getting the classic tour pak for my bike instead of the ultra tour pak. The main reason I am thinking of going with the classic is I want to do the QD thing and I don't want to mess with wires, I just want a quick on and off tour pak. I use the radio but I only use my satellite receiver or my mp3 player so I was thinking about eliminating the radio antenna all together. I am not fond on how the tour pak would look on my bike but I do see some advantages the tour pak will have on long road trips, but I would think that if I got a tour pak it would spend more time collecting dust then on the back of my bike. I am still making up my mind on getting a tour pak because it is pretty pricey when you add everything up.

I am looking into getting the classic tour pak for my bike instead of the ultra tour pak. The main reason I am thinking of going with the classic is I want to do the QD thing and I don't want to mess with wires, I just want a quick on and off tour pak. I use the radio but I only use my satellite receiver or my mp3 player so I was thinking about eliminating the radio antenna all together. I am not fond on how the tour pak would look on my bike but I do see some advantages the tour pak will have on long road trips, but I would think that if I got a tour pak it would spend more time collecting dust then on the back of my bike. I am still making up my mind on getting a tour pak because it is pretty pricey when you add everything up.

That's the set up I have. Basic tour pack with no wires to contend with when installing or taking off. Moved my antenna up into the fairing with excellent results. Added the LED saddlebag spoiler lights for some extra lighting to the rear to make up for the lack of lights on the tour pack, as well as upgrading the tail light to the BAL version. Very happy so far.

Yes, it's about a $1200 investment for the detachable tour pack set up we're talking about but worth it IMHO. To be honest, I hardly ever take it off any more!

Installed the QD kit on my '11 FLTRU today, pretty simply to put on but I do have a couple of observations. Purchased HD part #53246-09A and HD part #69200181.

1) I went with the J&M antenna for the CB and radio in the fairing and removed the mast on the tour pak. That left me with two studs on the trunk I need to figure out how to cover.

You could get two flexible shorty antennas cheap at the auto parts store. I kinda like the shorty look on a tour pak. Or two small flags mounted on the studs.
I also have the QD setup, but haven't taken the TP off in over a year.

That's the set up I have. Basic tour pack with no wires to contend with when installing or taking off. Moved my antenna up into the fairing with excellent results. Added the LED saddlebag spoiler lights for some extra lighting to the rear to make up for the lack of lights on the tour pack, as well as upgrading the tail light to the BAL version. Very happy so far.

Yes, it's about a $1200 investment for the detachable tour pack set up we're talking about but worth it IMHO. To be honest, I hardly ever take it off any more!

Did you get the antenna from HD or is it aftermarket and how well does it work, have you had any problems with the tour pak vibrating on the docking points? I already have the run/turn/stop conversion and the BAL and a fender tip tri-bar run/stop lights on the bike, I think that would be enough lighting. I was also looking into the big luggage rack to put on the lid, do you have a luggage rack & do you use it or would it just be a waste of money?

Did you get the antenna from HD or is it aftermarket and how well does it work, have you had any problems with the tour pak vibrating on the docking points? I already have the run/turn/stop conversion and the BAL and a fender tip tri-bar run/stop lights on the bike, I think that would be enough lighting. I was also looking into the big luggage rack to put on the lid, do you have a luggage rack & do you use it or would it just be a waste of money?

Got a powered plastic antenna from one of the auto supply stores, spliced it into the cigar lighter wires, and it works great.

No problem with the tour pack vibrating.

I did put the luggage rack on top and mainly use it to bungee a coat or something like that when the pack is full. Just looks nicer with a chrome rack on top!

Ironmark, I had the same thoughts about how much ussage I would get from the high priced HD tour pac. I found a forign one from ebay. It cost about $120 and I had a local autobody shop color match the paint, another $175. I purchased the HD QR hardware and mounted it to the inexpensive (cheap) tour pac. My pac is not as large as the HD but it holds enough for me. It came with the back rest and my wife says it is comfortable and so far I have had no problems with it.

For those who don't mind a bigger antenna, I got one which improved my fringe reception of FM signals by about 20 miles. For less than $11 from Crutchfield (no shipping) and it comes with the same 90 degree mounting that Harley sells with its antenna kit for the tour pack, and the screw on antenna wire connection for the inside of the tour pack. It has a chromy spring mount on the bottom and is a 3 section stainless steel mast extending to 53 inches when you want it that long. It is a Metra Universal 44-US401. It is not as neat looking as the Harley all black antenna, but it works much better in fringe areas and the price is right.

Back