free website stats program Install of riders backrest on 08 Ultra | Harley Davidson Forums

Install of riders backrest on 08 Ultra

Rebyl

Banned
Is it just me or are the mounting instructions I got with the kit very confusing?
Can't seem to figure out how it all fits

Do i understand that you remove the two nuts that stick up through the rear fender and place the bracket on to them to start with, there are plastic bits that sit on the rear guard to protect the paint, am I on the right track

OK I have the mounting kit fitted, now how am I suppossed to fit the back rest through the seat and into the mounting holes and at the same time put the seat back on, my hands ain't that small, if I ever get it on it ain't ever comming off...LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Tried that, cant keep the bits squeezed together once into the seat, will have to look for a five year old with little hands....it really is a mongrol of a thing, starting to think Harley do this sort of thing on purpose...GRRRRRRRRRR

Rebyl, I have the same model and same backrest. Once the seat is installed, I put the back rest through the seat at a 30 degree (or so) angle to the right. Once the right tab is into the mounting channel, I squeeze the left side and tilt the back rest straight up while pushing down. It is a struggle, but works for me. Good luck.

Finally got it into place by getting my wife to put her hand under the seat and to guide it into the hole...works great once it is in but what a pathetic set up, I have had backrests on most of my other bikes and none of them were such an issue as this....oh well it is a Harley after all...grin.
Will try the 30 degree angle method next time I have it off.
Did a 300km ride today, with about 50km's of gravel and the backrest was great...no more sore lower back...which is sometimes an issue since I got run over a few years back!!!

Back