free website stats program install cruise control | Harley Davidson Forums

install cruise control

tdufren

I am looking at installing a cruise control on my 2006 flhtci. I got a quote of $712.80 for Harley shop to do this. Sounds really expensive. I was wondering how hard is it to install myself. I looked at the pdf instructions on harley site and it looked like medium difficulty. Has anyone installed one that can help me decide if I should try to tackle this? Also does it need to be programmed? Just wondered if thats why price is so much.

try another shop.. I was told it was around 400 for the goods with installation. I could be wrong. that link is nice.. might have to buy me one now :)

If you can read the PDF instructions and have an ounce of mechanical ability, you will have no problem installing it. Only thing I had trouble with was connecting to the throttle body. I didn't life my tank and I have large hands. I still managed to get it done without too much difficulty

Harley web site has the unit for 389.95 but I found one for 320.00 with shipping on e-bay. I think I'll go ahead and give it a try. I have a manual also and I recently added a tfi and k&n and mufflers with help from this forum. If I have trouble I'm sure you folks can bail me out. Gezzer Glide, according to harley parts you can install it on carbed bikes. Thanks for support!!

Can you install cruise control on a carbed bike?

Yes Geezer you can. Check the side of your carb and see that you have the extra "knob" on the throttle assy for the cruise cable to clip on to. When I switched to the 44 mm SE carb on my roadking rebuild the carb did not come with the knob but I removed throttle shaft out of both carbs and did a bit of machining and voila' cruise works great. Let me know if you have anymore questions. I have helped several friends do theirs too and they are very happy.
Signed - Bum :D

I finally installed my cruise control today. Works but I have a couple of questions. When I set the cruise, it takes a second or two to activate and also it seems to lose a couple of miles an hour. Is that normal? I just raise it back up and It holds the speed after that just fine.
Also, I forgot to put the friction ajustment in the new housing. Is it really needed. The installation was a little tricky but everything went well. I'm a picture kind of guy instead of reader.

Never mind last post!! I should have read the very last instructions. Cruise adjusted and works great!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally installed my cruise control today. Works but I have a couple of questions. When I set the cruise, it takes a second or two to activate and also it seems to lose a couple of miles an hour. Is that normal? I just raise it back up and It holds the speed after that just fine.
Also, I forgot to put the friction ajustment in the new housing. Is it really needed. The installation was a little tricky but everything went well. I'm a picture kind of guy instead of reader.

Never mind last post!! I should have read the very last instructions. Cruise adjusted and works great!!

If your avitar relates to your occupation, I would think you were a VERY careful instruction reader. :D

Very true Breeze3at. 30 years a lineman and still alive! Makes ya wonder how. LOL. It easy being a lineman, Its the mechanic thing I have a hard time with. I forgot to adjust the cruise cable.

Yes. Cable lash initialization will solve that. Had same problem. Works perfect once you follow that step. Enjoy it. Mine was awesome to have on the 7500 k trips the wife and I took. Makes a world of difference.

Back