free website stats program Inner Primary Repaint | Harley Davidson Forums

Inner Primary Repaint

bikedelic

While I've got my bike disassembled, I decided to repaint the inner primary. The old black wrinkle paint was chipped and flaking off pretty bad so I stripped it with paint stripper, masked off all the places I didn't want paint and repainted it with VHT Black Wrinkle paint (available at AutoZone).

The instructions are on the can - it's pretty easy to do. Three really wet coats (be careful not to get any runs!). After letting the paint flash (start drying to the point where the solvents have evaporated and the paint is starting to set), I put it in my wife's oven at about 185* for an hour or so to cure it and get a good tight wrinkle. She came home while it was cookin! Not too happy, but she got over it.

It came out great! When I put it all back together, it's going to look so good. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

Sounds cool. I never used that paint. No primer is required. You can just spray smooth metal and go?

The instructions on the can don't call for primer and there was no primer when I stripped it so I didn't use any. The inner primary case is a sand-cast texture finish - fairly rough so it provides a good surface for the paint to stick to. Most of paint adheasion is mechanical so the sand-cast surface should sufficient. Time will tell. Some folks like to use a high temp BBQ grill paint for a base coat, but the temp rating for this paint doesn't really require it either. If I was doing the cylinders I would probably use the high temp first, but the primary doesn't get that hot.

The instructions on the can don't call for primer and there was no primer when I stripped it so I didn't use any. The inner primary case is a sand-cast texture finish - fairly rough so it provides a good surface for the paint to stick to. Most of paint adheasion is mechanical so the sand-cast surface should sufficient. Time will tell. Some folks like to use a high temp BBQ grill paint for a base coat, but the temp rating for this paint doesn't really require it either. If I was doing the cylinders I would probably use the high temp first, but the primary doesn't get that hot.

You've got all the ideas correct, but where are the pics ?

You might wanna watch putting stuff in your kitchen oven. Not sure bout the paint buy I know for sure that powder coat gives off poisonous fumes that can permeate the oven afterwards. If I were you I think I would give that oven a good cleaning before you bake your next cake in it.

You might wanna watch putting stuff in your kitchen oven. Not sure bout the paint buy I know for sure that powder coat gives off poisonous fumes that can permeate the oven afterwards. If I were you I think I would give that oven a good cleaning before you bake your next cake in it.

Not to worry, low temp, just some VOC's floating around. It's due to have the clean button pushed anyway. I'll put up some pics as soon as I get the opportunity. :s

A wise word of caution there R_W_B.

Back