free website stats program inner primary removal 97 heritage | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

inner primary removal 97 heritage

Got it in. Now gotta put in the starter shaft seal that sits in the inner primary. The original part is no longer made . Using a newer model. I have no way to pull the race off the transmission shaft without buying an overpriced puller. The race looks good and the inner seal looks good . Do you think it will be alright to leave it?

The mainshaft oil seal the one that sits behind the bearing inner race can get a lot of dirt build up from its exposed location in between the gearbox and the primary and does fail from time to time
I have had to replace one myself and assisted a few times on this site with others having a leak at that seal
perhaps borrowing or hiring a puller for the bearing inner race may be an option
however a puller can be made from a couple of bits of steel and and some threaded rod

Thanks for your help. The seal looks good and dirt free so I decided to not replace it. I bolted up the inner primary today so tommorrow I should be done and test drive.

Back