free website stats program inner primary removal 97 heritage | Harley Davidson Forums

inner primary removal 97 heritage

Trying to replace inner primary gasket. Removed everything down to inner primary then removed 8 bolts holding inner primary including 2 outside on the front. I can get it to budge. Some bikes have the starter bolted on from the right side but I dont think so on this bike pretty sure I removed starter bolts from inside primary. Is this right? How do I get this thing off???

On my evo softail the starter mount bolts are a wee bit difficult to get to but by using 3/8" ratchet and wobble extensions with the correct size allen head i am able to get under the oil tank and get them out as they are fitted from the right side
inner primary will not come off if they are still in

Brian

It must be the starter bolts. I can't even see them . Gotta figure out how to get in there. Did you go from the right or left side? And how did you get them back in?

from the right side using wobble extension bars you will not get in with straight extensions
however it may be easier to just move the oil tank out of the way

Brian

John sometimes geting it started square can be a problem. I made a delrin holder for the seal that slips over the main shaft to keep things square and so that I didn't damage the seal. Did you put something over the splines so you don't cut the seal? You can try a small dead blow hammer (Nylon or plastic) and tap around the outside edge of the seal keeping it square by tapping one spot and then 180*, 90*,180*,90*. Does that make sense?

Back