free website stats program inner primary leaking | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

inner primary leaking

Last time I had mine off, it took a couple of clunks with a rubber mallet to free it from the inner mating surface. It fell free right away.

The inner race of the bearing stays on the mainshaft and the rest stays in the inner primary so if the 2 parts of the bearing are stuck together then that may point somewhat to where the leak is
if you are sure the bearing is all that is holding it together perhaps some heat may get thing moving again

Brian

Last time I had mine off, it took a couple of clunks with a rubber mallet to free it from the inner mating surface. It fell free right away.

The inner race of the bearing stays on the mainshaft and the rest stays in the inner primary so if the 2 parts of the bearing are stuck together then that may point somewhat to where the leak is
if you are sure the bearing is all that is holding it together perhaps some heat may get thing moving again

Brian

Good advice here, Never hit a bearing or race with a hard object I E punches or steel hammers unless you are going to replace them any way, and take it easy on the main shaft:s Like Brian said a bit of heat goes a long ways

I never cease to amaze myself on how foolish I can be. Turns out the bike originaly had mid controls and the previous owner installed forward controls. The shifter shaft was left in the primary. I simply assumed that it wasnt connected to anything. However, when I started looking at it the arm was attached to the base of the cylinder. It wasn't functional at all it was just there to be out of the way. Once I removed the bolt attaching it the primary came right off.

The good news is I easily located my problem. It turns out I had two bad seals instead of just one. The main leak was coming from the starter jackshaft seal. The seal had actually broken apart and was in two pieces. I also discovered that the shifter arm seal on the tranny had a small leak (explains the small amount of trans fluid I located). I replaced all the seals and put everything back together. I would like to fire it up now but I have a three year old sleeping right now so it will have to wait until the morning.

The only thing that concerned me during the reassembly is I'm not sure if I assembled the starter jackshaft correctly. The coupling has a retaining ring inside of it. The ring is not centered and there is a deep side and a narrow side. It slides over the shaft and has a spring in the other side. My question is which way does the coupling go? It will fit either way. I am about 80% sure that the narrow part points toward the starter and the deeper end holds the spring which points toward the primary. At least that's the way I assembled it. I hope I'm right.

As long as its back together correctly I will test ride tomorrow. Thanks to everybody for all the replies. Turns out it was a simple fix and like I said I never cease to amaze myself. It's always the simple things that seem to get me!

. . . . . . . . . . . The only thing that concerned me during the reassembly is I'm not sure if I assembled the starter jackshaft correctly. The coupling has a retaining ring inside of it. The ring is not centered and there is a deep side and a narrow side. It slides over the shaft and has a spring in the other side. My question is which way does the coupling go? It will fit either way. I am about 80% sure that the narrow part points toward the starter and the deeper end holds the spring which points toward the primary. At least that's the way I assembled it. I hope I'm right.
. . . . .

Does this help ? (see jpeg at bottom), click to enlarge in browser or can save to your computer by right clicks save as and then use the viewer of your choice.

1 SCREW, COVER 1
2 BOLT, STARTER 2
3 SCREW W/ O-RING 2
4 NUT, FLANGE 1
5 BOLT, STARTER 2
6 SCREW 1
7 SCREW 2
8 WASHER 1
9 LOCKWASHER 2
10 NUT, WITH WASHER 2
11 BALL BEARING 1
12 BALL 1
13 BALL BEARING 1
14 CLUTCH ROLLER 5
15 O-RING 1
16 RETAINING RING 1
17 RETAINING RING 1
18 PINION GEAR 1
19 WASHER, THRUST 1
20 HOUSING, STARTER 1
21 ARMATURE ASSEMBLY 1
22 CLUTCH ASSEMBLY, STARTER W/ REF # 37, 38, & 41 1
23 BRUSH HOLDER ASSEMBLY 1
24 FRAME, STARTER END 1
25 YOKE ASSEMBLY, STARTER 1
26 IDLER GEAR 1
27 BRACKET, COVER 1
28 COVER, (CHROME) 1
29 RETAINER, IDLER GEAR 1
30 SWITCH ASSEMBLY 1
31 COUPLING 1
31 STARTER, COMPLETE (BLACK TEXTURE) 1
32 SPRING, RETURN 1
33 STARTER REPAIR KIT 1
34 DRAIN VENT 1
35 SPRING, BRUSH 4
36 BOOT, INSULATING 1
37 CLUTCH, STARTER 1
38 SHAFT, OUTPUT 1
39 COVER, SOLENOID 1
40 BOLT W/ WASHER 3
41 SPRING 1
42 CLIP, CABLE 1
43 O-RING 2
44 LOCKPLATE 1
45 SHAFT, EXTENSION 1
46 SPRING, PINION GEAR 1
47 COUPLING

Attachments

• StarterShaft.jpg
    StarterShaft.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 40
You will know if it is correct or not when you press the starter button if the engine cranks you are good if the starter spins but no crank primary off turn it round and reassemble
i have been there a wee bit frustrating but you will know how to get there

Brian

I would like to give a huge thanks to everybody on the forum who helped me with this issue. If you all were closer I'd buy the drinks. I took the bike out this morning and it ran like a dream. No leaks and it shifted smooth as silk. I really enjoy working on the bike myself and I learn alot with each new project. If I ever need to pull the primary again I know exactly what to expect and I'm sure it will be easier next time.

Thanks again!!!

Back