free website stats program inner primary leaking | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

inner primary leaking

The site i use for parts has most of the parts lists for this century under their original parts search here
VAT Free Harley Davidson Parts - Jersey Harley-Davidson

To replace the mainshaft oil seal you will have to pull the bearing inner race from the mainshaft special tools are required to remove and install the inner race but if care is taken the inner race can be re used
when the inner race is removed you will get access to the oil seal that sits between the mainshaft and and the main drive
to remove the oil seal drill a small hole in the metal part of the seal about halfway between the inner and outer part of the seal centre punch where you are going to drill as your drill will be at a fair angle due to the mainshaft being in the way so drill bit would skip toward the mainshaft
insert a self tapping screw in the hole you have drilled and pull on the screw to get the seal out i use the claw end of a crowbar and it just popped out
clean up the area on the mainshaft where the seal bears as dirt seems to collect there
i used a a bit of abs pipe of the correct diameter to fit over the mainshaft and drive the new seal into place
i hope this helps

Brian

I do have the HD service manual which is wonderful and has several drawings but not like the one in the parts manual. I didn't realize how helpful the parts manual could be but I might end up getting one.

Fin, when you said special tools are required to remove the inner race what kind of tools are you referring too? I would like to purchase all the tools needed before I tear into it. Anything from George's garage maybe? The manual said I would need some type of seal puller? I believe that's what they called it anyway. Not quite sure what that is. I'm assuming your method of drilling and installing a screw to pry out will work instead of using a puller.

there is a special tool to remove and install the bearing inner race from the shaft
a quick search on ebay brought up one but i am in the UK so only international sellers show up
Harley Transmission Mainshaft Inner Primary Bearing Race Tool Remove Install | eBay
if you do a search there it will show a lot more
for your needs perhaps a cheep tool that will work 3 or 4 times will be sufficient rather than a professional tool that will last a lifetime as it is the sort of job that will not come up often in a lifetime you may even be able to fabricate a simple tool to do the job
the self tapping screw method of removing a seal has always worked for me and costs very little as i have everything i need for it in the shed

Brian

Is this race on the inner primary or the transmission? If it is on the primary I might end up taking it to an indy and pay him a couple bucks to pull the race for me. If it's on the tranny obviously that wont work and I will need the tool.

ok, disregard my previous post. I did some searching and now realize which race you were referring too and see that its on the trans. I wish I had my manual with me right now but I dont. I'm not sure I understand how it could be leaking from that seal since the vast majority of the leak consists of primary fluid. If the seal was on the trans wouldn't I be getting only trans fluid leaking? Like I said I did have a couple drops of trans fluid underneath but I'm almost thinking it might have been from the rag I was wiping with which did have some trans fluid on it. I am certain that most of the fluid is coming from the primary. Maybe I will notice some trans fluid building on the sprocket once I pull the primary off. I think I just need to start tearing it down and taking a look for myself. Sometimes I end up asking too many questions before I even start and then realize it wasn't that bad once I get in there. Anyway thanks alot for all the help and I'll definately let you know how it goes.

As always I really appreciate this forum for all the knowledge and assistance I get!

Last edited by a moderator:
It may be that you do not need to do that seal as it would be trans oil that would come out there and it will puddle on the lower part of the pulley if it is gone
perhaps it is just something you need to look at when you have the inner primary off but if there is a wee puddle of trans oil it would be better to replace that seal while you have the inner primary off

Brian

I finally got some time this afternoon to tear into the primary and start on my project. However, I ran into a problem when I went to remove the inner primary. For some reason it seems to be hung up on something and I'm afraid to apply too much force. I have removed the clutch, compensator, starter bolts and jackshaft, 4 primary to engine bolts, and 3 primary to trans bolts, I am pretty sure there are not any more bolts to remove but It feels like I am getting hung up on the mainshaft bearing. It doesnt seem to want to slide off the mainshaft. When I apply a small amount of force it looks like the bearing rollers will slide on the inner part of the bearing but the bearing itself seems stuck on the mainshaft. Should I try a little more force? I'm concerned about damaging the bearing. Any other tricks? Is it possible the bearing is just stuck onto the shaft?

You mentioned the 7 bolts on the inner primary, the 2 bolts holding the starter on also bolt to the Inner primary. Once they are out the the Inner primary should slide off. Sometimes they have silicone on back side also.
Once it is off you can see the Inner Race on the Tranny shaft. Check the spacing on that for the corect measument. If it has moved back against the main shaft then it is pushing in on the small seal between the main shaft & main gear.

You mentioned the 7 bolts on the inner primary, the 2 bolts holding the starter on also bolt to the Inner primary. Once they are out the the Inner primary should slide off. Sometimes they have silicone on back side also.
Once it is off you can see the Inner Race on the Tranny shaft. Check the spacing on that for the corect measument. If it has moved back against the main shaft then it is pushing in on the small seal between the main shaft & main gear.

For times like these I always love to tap around with a soft rubber mallet. It can break things loose that are supposed to come loose without breaking them.

Starter motor bolts need to come off my dyna is a 94 and i can get at the starter bolts with a long 3/8" square drive extension but i do not remember what size allen head fits

Brian

Starter motor bolts need to come off my dyna is a 94 and i can get at the starter bolts with a long 3/8" square drive extension but i do not remember what size allen head fits

Brian

I took the two starter bolts out already. Unless there is a third bolt i cant figure out what it's getting hung up on. Its definately loose and i can move it in several areas it just seems like the bearing doesnt want to slide off the shaft. I had to run out of town tonight for some family matters but tomorrow i will take another look at it.
WAP.gif

Back