free website stats program Inner primary bearing failure | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Inner primary bearing failure

Wondering if my 2010 RKC bike will have similar problem? I just replace the belt and should have check that but I did not... Just over 17,300 miles... I hope it will be okay... :bigsmiley25:

Wondering if my 2010 RKC bike will have similar problem? I just replace the belt and should have check that but I did not... Just over 17,300 miles... I hope it will be okay... :bigsmiley25:

Just curious, but why did you have to replace the belt at 17K miles??? I thought the belts could get 100K before needing replacement. Unless you got a little rock in there that created a hole.

Got the bike back together last night and rode to work this morning. The noise is completely gone and I believe quieter than when I first got it. Although I did buy used with 3000 miles on it. It always had a little HOWL if dropped into first gear coming up to a stop with the clutch in.

The bearing kit I got may have been a little more than parts sold separate but the bearing and race also came with the oil seal, retaining ring and a gasket for the forward part of the primary around the compensating sprocket.

Got the bike back together last night and rode to work this morning. The noise is completely gone and I believe quieter than when I first got it. Although I did buy used with 3000 miles on it. It always had a little HOWL if dropped into first gear coming up to a stop with the clutch in.

The bearing kit I got may have been a little more than parts sold separate but the bearing and race also came with the oil seal, retaining ring and a gasket for the forward part of the primary around the compensating sprocket.

So it seems your bearing was under the compensating sprocket and mine was under the clutch pack. It seems the same name for the bearing could mean either one. the dealer that repaired my bike called it the inner primary bearing????:dknow

So it seems your bearing was under the compensating sprocket and mine was under the clutch pack.

No... mine was under the clutch pack. the bearing kit i bought just came with a gasket for the forward part of the primary in addition to the parts required behind the clutch.:57:

Just curious.. Do you happen to have the auto-adjusting primary chain tensioner ? Seems some are seeing premature clutch bearing failure because the primary chain is becoming too tight putting extra stress on the bearing.

Just curious.. Do you happen to have the auto-adjusting primary chain tensioner ? Seems some are seeing premature clutch bearing failure because the primary chain is becoming too tight putting extra stress on the bearing.

Bingo!!! Give the man a prize.... I have heard that also....:(
So then a inherent manufacturing problem.....

Finally. The auto tensioner has been responsible for many IPB failures in the later models. Replacing the OEM auto tensioner with the Hayden M6 is probably the best defense agains future IPB failures. The MoCo never should have moved away from the manual adjustor. It should be noted now that the MoCo does offer a manual adjustor for the later models but, IIRC, they have not come out with an outer primary cover similar to the early models that will allow removal of a plate to make the manual adjustments. However, the manual adjustor would be a better option than the auto adjustor; adjsut it and forget it for at least 25K-30K miles. With the later models, you will probably have to open up the primary about that time to replace the (EDIT) compensator.:bigsmiley25:

Moderator Note: Please read our rules on language

HDTimeline Language Policy - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Back