free website stats program inner primary bearing and race on 09 flhx | Harley Davidson Forums

inner primary bearing and race on 09 flhx

Redman

i have an 09 flhx with 35,000 miles on it and recently replaced for the second time my inner primary bearing and race... parts 9231 and 34091-08. I feel as if the inner primary bearing should certainly last longer than this and am even suprised it failed at all. Please share your collective wisdom on this as the parts mentioned are less than 30.00 total but when you add the gasketsseala and all else just to put it all back together plus labor i am looking at almost 500.00 ! I was hoping that someone could point me in the right direction if they have had a similiar problem and had luck....when pigs fly.....retrieving money from the moco for this. I had luck getting them to pay for the dunlop front tire issue a few years back so i have some hope. Thanks in advance for your help !!!

That has a good read in it...

Inner primary bearing failure - Harley Davidson Forums - HDTimeline.com (Inner primary bearing failure)

ALSO read my post, number 24 in the above thread...

It needs to get Oil and there has been talk about alignment of the Snap Ring...
Turned wrong , it won't allow oil into that bearing/race. BUGGERS........

ALSO read dolt in his post 26, he says it like that.

The snap ring IMPROPERLY installed or Moved... Allowing NO or Enough oil getting to that bearing...

signed....BUBBIE

i have an 09 flhx with 35,000 miles on it and recently replaced for the second time my inner primary bearing and race... parts 9231 and 34091-08. I feel as if the inner primary bearing should certainly last longer than this and am even suprised it failed at all. Please share your collective wisdom on this as the parts mentioned are less than 30.00 total but when you add the gasketsseala and all else just to put it all back together plus labor i am looking at almost 500.00 ! I was hoping that someone could point me in the right direction if they have had a similiar problem and had luck....when pigs fly.....retrieving money from the moco for this. I had luck getting them to pay for the dunlop front tire issue a few years back so i have some hope. Thanks in advance for your help !!!

Read the thread linked in the previous posts but pay particular attention to the relationship between IPB failure and the auto tensioner self adjusting too tight. I have read, somewhere, that there was technical bulletin issued and the MoCo did cover IPB failures in some bikes (Dynas only??) with very low mileage but with 35K miles on the bike, I wouldn't count on any help from the MoCo.

Read the thread linked in the previous posts but pay particular attention to the relationship between IPB failure and the auto tensioner self adjusting too tight. I have read, somewhere, that there was technical bulletin issued and the MoCo did cover IPB failures in some bikes (Dynas only??) with very low mileage but with 35K miles on the bike, I wouldn't count on any help from the MoCo.

Dolt, I believe what you are talking about is the early 2006 96" Dyna that the original purchaser signed off on mandatory replacement of IPB at 15,000 mile intervals.
As to help I wasted the time on the phone with HD customer "CARE" center. And then calling the second time when the district rep was at dealer and declined help. The only assistance I receive was a $90.00 discount from dealer which is where I bought bike new.... What a joke. And worse part is again I am out $500.00, they installed same parts removed and there is still a bearing noise of some sort that dealer did not notice in drive train. I have not had the time to take bike to dealer for second look.....:(

That has a good read in it...
ALSO read my post, number 24 in the above thread...

It needs to get Oil and there has been talk about alignment of the Snap Ring...
Turned wrong , it won't allow oil into that bearing/race. BUGGERS........

signed....BUBBIE

This is covered in the Shop Manual, I believe (JMO) many of the bikes were assembled wrong at the factory to begin with

If that is true then it is bad design! HD needs to redesign them to be foolproof! :dknow

It's not a design flaw; the passage for providing lubricant to the IPB is in the casting. The issue is that during assembly, the snap ring is installed without aligning the opening in the snap ring with the oil passage, thereby choking or stopping the oil flow to the IPB.

Back