free website stats program Inner Primary Alignment? '94 FXDWG | Harley Davidson Forums

Inner Primary Alignment? '94 FXDWG

DWG Preacher

I am repairing a leaking mainshaft seal on my '94 Dyna Wideglide. When I removed the inner primary housing, found the inner bolts to the engine loose/stripped. I'm sure I can helicoil them (?), but reading the manual it says to loosen the engine and transmission mounting bolts, install and torque the inner primary, then retighten the eng/trans bolts. I can only see the front engine mount, the eng/trans (connecting) bolts, and then the rear of the trans bolts directly to the swingarm. Are there other frame mounts I'm not seeing? I'm wondering if the wrong procedure caused those inner primary bolts to strip out, and if that's the case, what bolts exactly need to be loosened prior to installing the inner primary again?

Sorry for the delay in responding,I just got back from Sturgis.There is a top motor mount also.It attaches to the cylinders(F&R) near the spark plugs, then goes up to the frame back bone.The procedure you talk of sounds like if you were to remove the Mtr. & tranny.
I usually don't do all of that to R&R inner primary.Of the 4 bolts to the motor from the inner primary,the 2 on inside of the primary should of had locking tab washers to keep from loosing.If you heli coil those be careful not to drill through the mtr. casing.
tourbox

Thanks, tourbox. Yes, that is the same thing I heard from another wrench I talked to. The helicoil went smoothly, scooter is all back together and running nicely. I would have liked to go ahead and replaced the compensator sprocket and belt drive pulley, but while worn they are useable, and budget is tight. I did have to spend a little more time that I thought should be necessary, adjusting the rear axle. Seems that when the axle is perfectly straight, the belt wanted to walk all the way right and rub on the transmission housing on the inside. Adjusting the axle very slightly (1/10th of and inch?) forward on the right brought the belt back in line on the pulley. Is this a common occurrance, or possibly a sign of wear in the swingarm bushings?

I would lean in the direction of the swing arm bushings.The bike is 18 yrs old.If you are not the original owner or know when or if they have ever been replaced,then I would definitely replace them.You might want to consider that when replacing the other parts.Glad you got it back together with no other problems.
tourbox

I am repairing a leaking mainshaft seal on my '94 Dyna Wideglide. When I removed the inner primary housing, found the inner bolts to the engine loose/stripped. I'm sure I can helicoil them (?), but reading the manual it says to loosen the engine and transmission mounting bolts, install and torque the inner primary, then retighten the eng/trans bolts. I can only see the front engine mount, the eng/trans (connecting) bolts, and then the rear of the trans bolts directly to the swingarm. Are there other frame mounts I'm not seeing? I'm wondering if the wrong procedure caused those inner primary bolts to strip out, and if that's the case, what bolts exactly need to be loosened prior to installing the inner primary again?

Just wondering out loud hear. Is it possible the manual is refering to the engine TO transmission bolts?? This would make sense to loosen those so that the mounting of the inner primary would act to align the two. Just a thought.

Back